• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First trial pen from my version of a pen wizard

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
Thanks for the info Peter - My brother works for a transport company so i will see if he can source one for me - The clamp i've used is 48mm and is clear of the motor vents

ZuluTiming

Excellent project!
It is weird for me seeing this right now as I am in a process of acquiring and machining parts for one with stepper motors.
Also, the "rope pen" that made me interested in pen turning was made with a Pen Wizard, but at a time, I dismissed the Wizard as too pricey. Little did I know that the alternative journey would be more costly as now I am sourcing Pen kits, tooling and materials, tooling and CNC parts for my soon to be flat bed machine and CNC pen wizard.
Sometimes I wish I bought the damn thing at the time.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Zulu the biggest problem IMHO on the pen wizard is the threaded rod that runs the whole shebang and the tiny hand drive I will replace some time with an easier single handle as was done in later models. That threaded shaft has a whoop (technical term) in it it I brought this to the designer maker in the states who said it would cost a fortune to have a accurate one include which is BS cause anything C & C driven has to be smooth and straight otherwise it would fail. In the land of nod (thats me) in these matters there I left it the problem put it on the shelf.

Initially I bought my PW second hand from a great guy in the US who said it was not for him he actually gave me an unprecedented deal (we often talk about good guys )well he sent me mine on appro and paid the freight to me if I liked it pay if not send it back. I was overwhelmed but accepted with the money in my hot little hand burning a hole in itcause I am always fully paid up nin everything believe in it when it arrived I sent the money that day honouring his offer and satisfying my need to pay that way. I made at least twelve mods advised the maker in good faith he brushed me off so boo sucks so whats new. One of the first things I did was apply my recessing of the mandrell into the holding screw by 3/8th of an inch applying my design mamndrel saver to this PW I felt essential to remove slop at the point of the screw to the mandrel connection.Pic my mods 2nd pic as it was 3rd pic that troublesome shaft.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0001-223.JPG
    DSCF0001-223.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0010-143.JPG
    DSCF0010-143.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0013-121.JPG
    DSCF0013-121.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0004-001.JPG
    DSCF0004-001.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 41

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Excellent Tony, :drool:it's great to see forum members having a go and showing this sort of gear. It inspires so many on the forum to have a go themselves and it only serves to take pen turning to another level.m:thumbs:

ZuluTiming

Hey Penpal, thank you for showing the photos, I appreciate it. I am collecting photos so I can copy PW more accurately :drool:

If you are talking about the lead-screw I have few of those at different thickness so no problem there. And the Delrin nut should do the job. Delrin does the job in much bigger machines. If you talking about the tail-stock, I intend to make a "Eggbot Pro" style tailstock.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's a brilliant effort and looks like it will be a winner. Does the dremel move as the cogs turn?

Peter

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
That's a brilliant effort and looks like it will be a winner. Does the dremel move as the cogs turn?

Peter

Yes Peter - I've set the ratio at 3 : 1 the small cog on the carriage and the larger one on the mandrel for spiral cuts. I was going to do one today but had to do other things. I will try and up load a video of it working if i can figure out how to up load from windows video player

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Yes Peter - I've set the ratio at 3 : 1 the small cog on the carriage and the larger one on the mandrel for spiral cuts. I was going to do one today but had to do other things.

It's really well done, you can make whatever cogs you want. How do you adjust the cutting head depth into the blank?

I will try and up load a video of it working if i can figure out how to up load from windows video player

I think you have to upload to the likes of Youtube and then put a link in your post.

Peter

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
Hi Peter,

The Dremel is adjusted via horizontal and vertical elongated holes and I have been cutting both the spiral and the hexagon patterns from the side. Eventually I will put a screw thread mechanism on the back of the Dremel mounting plate so the Dremel can move up and down, but at the moment I am still playing around with patterns and cogs.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Great thread Tony.
Nothing I can contribute but watching with huge interest.
I'd love to have a go and have much of what's needed among my large stock of "treasure" :thinks:

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
Great thread Tony.
Nothing I can contribute but watching with huge interest.
I'd love to have a go and have much of what's needed among my large stock of "treasure" :thinks:

Hi Lons,

they are easy to make I will try and post some more photos tommorow but it's just a bit of threaded bar and a shed load of nuts

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Hi Lons,

they are easy to make I will try and post some more photos tommorow but it's just a bit of threaded bar and a shed load of nuts

Thanks Tony, look forward to that and bet I'm not the only one!
I have a couple of dremel type tools but also a Foredom flexi shaft woodcarver, plenty of threaded bar, a boatload of nuts and a little watchmakers lathe. I love projects (rarely finish them though, got plenty half done stuff for my retirement :whistling:).

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
The carriage is key here with the guide rail ( red ) needing to be a close fit. This keeps the dremmel running square and cuts out some of the pitch movement from the threaded bar. Ideally I would have made the carriage from aluminium with a steel guide rail but I don’t have that facility so hay-ho it’s wood at the moment
The large cog is removed when using the index for the hexagon pens. You can print off an indexing template from Builders Construction Calculators - Contractors, Tradies and DIY – printable templates-circle divider.
Hope this inspires someone to have a go.
Cheers, Tony

WP_20150523_001.jpg WP_20150523_002.jpg

WP_20150523_003.jpg WP_20150523_004.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Such a handy reference to the templates etc. Glad I am not making this one already too much on my plate looks like fun mate.We have a guy in our club who is brilliant figuring incredibe devices says just how easy it is to him.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).