• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Flexible nibs for TM Alpha fountain pens

jim0505

First Name
Jim
Hi everyone, I hope your not too busy preparing your pens for the Christmas rush, to help me with this. A prospective customer has asked whether I can fit a "flexible" nib to a TM Alpha fountain pen. I have explained that I could fit a calligraphic nib from Beaufort Ink, in 1.1, 1.5 or 1.9 widths, but I think she means something else. I have had a shallow look through the Internet and have seen that there are manufactured fountain pens of this type, but not any #5 nibs that can be purchased separately. Bit of a long shot, but it would be good to have another string to my bow, of options. Any help would be much appreciated. Jim:praying:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
You're not going to have any luck currently I'm afraid Jim. At the moment there are no size 5 flex nibs commercially available that will fit in your Alpha, or any other size 5 kit pen. Noodlers get a size 5 flex made for them in India but the geometry is completely different and it wont fit.

Having said that, I have solid titanium nibs that are semi-flex, but they're quite expensive, (and not full flex) and I'm currently working on manufacturing full flex nibs for pen kits, but that won't help you until way into next year I'm afraid.

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
what is the advantage of a full flex nib, phil? Is it just personal preference, or is there more to it?

jim0505

First Name
Jim
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the information, I had a feeling that would be the answer. At least I know there will be a positive outcome some time next year. Is this a newish trend or has it been around for a while. I suppose it helps with copperplate writing, giving the opportunity to have thick downs strokes. Reading some light articles it seems they are not to easy to master. jim

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
what is the advantage of a full flex nib, phil? Is it just personal preference, or is there more to it?
They are flexible, meaning that with varying downward pressure, you can spread the tines on the page, allowing you to vary the line width. You can vary the line with with a calligraphy nib but only is predetermined directions. With a flex nib you can do it in any direction.

They are a hang over from dip pens really, but you do see them in reservoir fed pens too. The problem is that the wider the line, the more demand it has for ink, so unless you have the right feed with it too, you just end up with a skippy line where the ink supply can't keep up. You also need a lot of practice too.

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the information, I had a feeling that would be the answer. At least I know there will be a positive outcome some time next year. Is this a newish trend or has it been around for a while. I suppose it helps with copperplate writing, giving the opportunity to have thick downs strokes. Reading some light articles it seems they are not to easy to master. jim
It's an ancient art Jim, and it's been around in reservoir fed pens for a few decades, but because of the limitations of the ink flow, they're not necessarily something you can just swap into your pen on a whim like you can a Bock nib, so they're not nearly as popular - that and as you say, the fact that they are difficult to tame.
They are great for drawing too if you have the skill. Ed Street owns a wonderful picture of an exotic bird that he bought, which if he pops along he might share with us.

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
I think these are the nibs that are quite popular in the Urban Sketching community. Most that I have seen are supplied as complete drawing pens mainly I believe from Japan. Are these what you have in mind Phil? I think they were originally intended for Japanese calligraphy.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).