• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Found this cheeky little sod today...

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Guys,

Went metal detecting today, and once again was amazed at the objects that find their way into fields. When I dug this up I promptly dropped it again, thinking I'd unearthed a relative of Golem! It was actually a casting of a monkey, and covered in mud as it was I thought it to be a fragment from a moulding of the classic "Three Monkeys" trio. However, once cleaned it is actually a monkey thumbing his nose at the viewer. It's made from a material as heavy as lead but which is likely to be an alloy, and the detail on the little bugger is amazing, particularly the fur and hair. (If this had been made of lead these details would have weathered off long before now.) So what is it then, I hear you ask?

Well, I've trawled the Internet but can find no reference to monkeys thumbing noses at humans, so I'm stuffed if I know what it is. The best guess I can make is that it's Early Georgian (so 1910 onwards) and possibly from a desk or mantle ornament. It doesn't help that the other three limbs have been broken off, probably by repeated ploughing. We often find the remains of Brittains lead soldiers and, because this too, is hollow maybe that's a clue? This will be placed in the box where I keep my "mystery objects", in the hope that one day they might be identified. What a wonderful hobby this is, where you can stride into a field and begin digging up coins and other artefacts and bygones that may date back to the first days when metals came into use in this great country of ours.

27438.jpg

27439.jpg

27440.jpg

Regards to all,

Bob.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Jeez, I sweated rivers of blood when attempting to upload this! I got a recurrence of that error some of us suffered the other day. Summat about "parse", etc. It eventually left me but only after 30 mins of pressing Send. Boy, was I relieved!

Bob.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have seen one of those before, I just can't remember where, see if you have a Finds Liaison Officer in your area, they are often a good source of knowledge.

Peter

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, John, Actually he can. I've just had a ten minute chat with him. Oops, I gotta go, it's time for my medication!

Yes, Peter, when I next see the FLO I'll show her this and see if it rings a bell. Funny that you may have seen a similar object before - maybe they were mass-produced?

Bob.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Intrigue ,revelation can Britain reclaim its own history. Well I for one hope your typical posed monkey can. Thanks for sharing your hobby with us Bob. Also its the 60,s since we have used pennies happy to see them.

Peter.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Bill.

No, matey - the other bit/bits were nowhere nearby that I could find (but maybe on another dig?) Thanks for your suggestion. I don't believe it to be a tamper, firstly because of its overall size when it was complete - it definitely would not be pocket-sized! Furthermore the weight would drag the poor bugger's britches down - it's heavy enough now, let alone adding the missing part to it! Not knowing what the piece is annoying - I've considered all the usual suspects, like stick handles, etc. but nothing fits the bill. Like I said in the post I reckon it's a decorative figure that was mounted on a stand, to be placed on a mantelpiece or desk. It must have been amusing, having this little tyke cocking a snoot at anyone in range!

Regards,
Bob.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
No doubt the answer to the riddle will come from somewhere, do let us know if you do find out, you have me nosy now, nowt fresh there quips my Yorkshire wife!

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
LOL, Bill!

I surely will inform everyone if an answer is forthcoming, although so many of the bits we find in fields are items where no records exist.

When I find the time I'll post an amazing item I picked up in a Kent field that is older than Stonehenge - and worth a goodly few quid as well!

Bob.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I've seen something similar on top of a walking cane. It was a posh cane and the monkey was silver.
The base was cut back at an angle just like yours which I thought unusual.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Bob,

Thanks for your suggestion. That angle you mention is actually a fracture - if complete this would have attached to his rear legs (I think!) And sadly it's not silver - would've been worth a few bob had it been!

Regards,
Bob.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
I perhaps should have added my wife comes from where the Middleham jewel was found many years ago, I knew one of the blokes that found it, cannot help but think there was a bit of fiddling went on there. I mean if you find something of value where you should not have been detecting but find a landowner who will say it was found on his land for a cut! My wife and I live only a mile and a half away from Middleham now, lovely area. Them Scots turn up everywhere! That monkey might have been on a Romans helmet, wonder what his other hand was doing. Nail biting could have worn that hand down to the shoulder.:funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).