• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Fountain Pen Kits

daveb

Apprentice Member
First Name
Dave
Hi,

I apologise if this is a common question but I'm new to the fraternity and to this site. I lost my pen making virginity at the weekend and am now hooked. I want to make a really nice fountain pen for my niece and wondered if anyone can recommend the best range to use.
Thank you

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi,

I apologise if this is a common question but I'm new to the fraternity and to this site. I lost my pen making virginity at the weekend and am now hooked. I want to make a really nice fountain pen for my niece and wondered if anyone can recommend the best range to use.
Thank you

How much is your budget? There's lots of ranges and the best range would depend on what you want to do and what you like, have a look at PenkitzandBitz Beaufort Ink, Taylors Mirsfield and Oke Crafts all of which can be found in the Seller Forums

Peter

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Welcome Dave, there are some very nice fountain pen kits out there, Peter has advised you where to start looking. We shall wait to see photos of your first one. :winking::winking:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Ask Woody he handles the majority of kits, Davey supplies him amongst others. Go to IAP in the USA look up the suppliers there to get a broad view. Everything depends on the lifestyle of your neice, her likes and perceived preferences, size of her hand , where its most likely used and kept. Plus the care of a fountain is real.

Peter.

daveb

Apprentice Member
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the advice everyone - much appreciated and plenty to look at there.
Part of the fun of this seems to be exploring what's out there.
Thanks again

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Jump in Dave experience comes from finding and doing, look around your area for a wood club great company there as a rule.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I would think a good place to start is with the Junior gents only because of the price they are quite cheap £4.20 from Upgraded Jr Gentlemen's Pen Kits – Taylors Mirfield compared to some of the better quality kits that way if you screw it up its not so bad then once you have mastered them then you can go on to the more expensive kits all of the suppliers in the sellers forum are great guys and willing to help and advise

daveb

Apprentice Member
First Name
Dave
Thanks Woody - the wife wants one now but all the components need to be chrome and have a nice smooth grip around the fingers!! - not too fussy eh!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).