• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Fountain Pen - New Clip

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Evening pen people.

I’ve been trying a few different pocket clips this week. I wanted a “roller“ clip to add as an alternative option to my default straight clip that I’ve been using for a while now.

I always liked pens with these types of roller clips when I was younger, but they always seemed to be on more expensive pens so I never owned one. So I wanted to add such a clip to my own pen offering.

Anyway here it is and I’m pleased with the way it looks.

The last photo shows the three clips I was looking at.

No1 is my current default that I’ve been using for a while now. I will still use this on the majority of pens I make.

The second one is a roller but I felt it was too short and didn’t quite look in proportion. The cap bands I added at the base of the cap do help reduce the space the clip is in which I think helps. But I’m not convinced.

No 3, which is the one I’ve used in this pen, is a little longer and really it appealed to me so that’s what I’ve settled on.

The slight downside is that clips 1&2 are the same dimensions meaning they can be swapped around. However clip 3 is wider and therefore needs a wider notch cut so it isn’t interchangeable with my default clip. Typical huh?

Cheers
Ash
IMG_4895.jpegIMG_4900.jpegIMG_4905.jpegIMG_4907.jpegIMG_4891.jpegIMG_4919.jpeg

PensFromNo11

First Name
Darren
Clip 3 is a great alternative to your original, brings a completely different look and feel to a cap of the same design.
The wider dimension at the top of clip 3 brings balance to the whole clip and cap so well worth the extra effort installing it.

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
To overuse a word, but justifiably so.... STUNNING - I agree with your summation of the clips, and like yourself really like no.3!

Padster

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Stunning (as always)
I am going to have to see about getting hold of one of your pens Ash.
For my own personal use, they are stunning :love_it:
Thanks Colin. I always like it when other pen makers have a pen from me - you get a different type of feedback compared to the usual customer 😊

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
The 'roller' clips look good, Ash, but will they stick the pace? I heard from some that they disintegrate. Those ones look quite sturdy.
Thanks Alan. Possibly yes, but I did give it a bit of a test and it seemed pretty good.
You never really know of course, so I make the pens so the clip can be swapped very simply so I can always supply another if there’s an issue.

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
very nice I tried some of the roller clips many years ago and they were veery flimsy didn't like em but I see now a vast improvement in them particularly the third one thank you for showing them