• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Fountain pen nibs

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Nibs, ..........

That's the very first time I have started a chat by saying nibs.

I really like a fountain pen and hope to make a few this year, however I am slightly unsure how to identify a nib size. (OK make that I have no clue).
To me the only difference between a #5 and a #6 are the numbers (5 and 6)
How do I size a nib? and what is the difference between the sizes, does one make a thicker line than the other?
I found this on Phil's site but it does not really have what I am looking for Beaufort Ink - Undertanding Fountain Pen Nibs Choosing The Right One

Thanks everyone

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
IMG_20220124_183835_180.jpg
It can be a big daunting but #5 are smaller than #6 which are smaller than #8 but bigger than #5s.... :banana::banana:
The size of the line can be F... fine M... medium or B... broad, before you get into italics which are just metric measures.
For simplicity an Omega or Levech nib is a #5 medium, if you wish to change it you'll need a #5 F or B (in a kit housing( if bought from Phil)) or if you go italic, Only worry about the bigger sizes if you go kitless or do the Big Gent fountain pens:face::face:

Geoff Kent

Graduate Member
First Name
GEOFF
A number 5 nib fits a feed that measures 5mm across.A number 6 fits a feed 6mm across.And so on.A number 5 nib will not fit a 6mm feed and so on.The feed is the plastic piece with very narrow channels that allow ink to flow around the nib.This in turn fits into the plastic housing.Then the nib,feed and housing fit into the fountain pen section.
If you are still unsure reread Phils piece,it explains everything very clearly.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).