• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Friction polish as a finish

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Being of an inquisitive mind, I've tried most finishes, haven't tried the craft coat stuff though.

The Ca method was explained to me by Walter and I have to say I've never really had a problem applying it.
I've never seen the advantage of going beyond 3 coats, by the way!

I was given a Ca finished pen (10 coats) that on the first accidental drop caused the finish to separate from the wood, leaving a cloudy area.

My first choice is always liquid Melamine, though depending on wood, I may use Ca or the satin D+M finish. This last one is a great finish and if they can produce a high gloss version, they will probably corner the market.

The problem being, is most turners want a result in seconds, not minutes!
This is why there are far more hobby turners than cabinet makers.:face:

Sit back, relax, and provide your customers with a finish that is durable and a reflection of your high quality turned item!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Much ado about very little more than you can read on the label or Google so far no miracle finishes highly amused with the thought that CA could ever be called a friction finish I apply it and dare not touch it until spray cured or time cured.

Finishes have been the reason we have all bought a magazine at some time there are almost encyclopeadias on the subject. Delving into the libraries of forums will reveal the frustrations involved so many timbers and so many finishes.

Louie quoted a favourite finish he uses that has been the great standby for ever in the states revered by some masters I have known. Have a look on your shelves how many bottles tins, jars?

Richard Raffan in all his demos used to say he used a block of honey bee wax all the talk of longevity etc none of this diminishes his sales based on how long does the finish last.

Oh I realise we talk here more of pens but Woody has given countless examples in detail of his finishes. There used to be endless loops in tapes you could buy we are on one of those exercises now. I dont mind have no magic elixer, we all have cars it brings to mind how many magic finishes I have bought over the last 65 yrs. When you find the end of the rainbow along the way we need to firm up on adequate, good and great.

Peter.:fingers:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I still on the fence despite the egg on, we still have to hear of the dipping method used by only one person on the board who claimed it was his method at one time.
And what about the French polishers out there? The cellulose lacquers that do such a great job, twin pack finishes, waxes and oils.
I hear so much shit spoke about can't use ca cos it don't feel right, "I wanna feel the wood", then feel the bleedin wood and leave it without a finish, plank that ain't what the customer wants and you wanna sell them init?
Still on the fence I am.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
I still on the fence despite the egg on, we still have to hear of the dipping method used by only one person on the board who claimed it was his method at one time.
And what about the French polishers out there? The cellulose lacquers that do such a great job, twin pack finishes, waxes and oils.
I hear so much shit spoke about can't use ca cos it don't feel right, "I wanna feel the wood", then feel the bleedin wood and leave it without a finish, plank that ain't what the customer wants and you wanna sell them init?
Still on the fence I am.

Does the fence have a finish on it?:funny::funny::funny:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Bla bla bla ring a ring a roses here we go again round and round then back to exactly the same place no finish is fool proof and all are perfect to those who use them all are vulnerable to were and damage do as Eamon said find the one you like and bloody use it and sod the rest

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).