• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

From the further south of the world

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Here is an contact address forRobbos big job in 1999 when he made himself a 13 metre bed lathe recieved a contract for University of Sydney for order for a number of 8.6 metre taper posts to be mounted at the entrance to the University with pictures plus some other sizes. As promised. More of Robbo at Cobb and Co Woodturning.

Woodworking Australia - Home Page there was a number of sizes etc, transport all hand turned with an assistant to sweep up the turnings off the floor around 3 cubic metres from each of the large ones transported to Sydney from Melbourne by semi trailer.

Incredible feat by any man.

Kind regards Peter.:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
If you use the reference above in blue you will have to spend forever tracking I put a direct way in my post this was substituted in good faith no doubt but I suggest you Google Robbos big job this goes to the right place also under Robbo he is quite famous in his own right.

Let me know what you think about his enginuity and skill. Also do yourself a favour and join this forum as well.

Thanks Jim, Kind regards Peter. :rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have looked at the sydney uni website as well as google images for the uni, but so far can't see where they have used Robbos Spindles. Do you know if there are any photos of them in-situ?

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Peter,

I rang Robbo in Melbourne he said in the past his computer suffered a horrible crash and he lost an enormous amount of pics and info re the Uni of Sydney task however he said he would using my membership on the U Beaut site advise me of some references to stuff stored on that forum. He and the owner of this forum are very close friends almost like family so slow progress but I have this thought I practice I try to never ever give up, I am still gobsmacked by this guys knowledge and skills. So I will keep the home fires burning when I learn more will add to this discussion.

Cheers Peter off to the workshop to turn.:goesred:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It is such a shame that he doesn't have full coverage of something so monumental.

Do you know what they were used for? Were they ornamental, structural or artistic?

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
It is such a shame that he doesn't have full coverage of something so monumental.

Do you know what they were used for? Were they ornamental, structural or artistic?

Peter

They were Structural, Ornamental and Architectural placed around the main entrance to a new building in a pattern, failing all else I will get in touch with the University and ask them to send me brochures etc showing Robbos work.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I will keep googling images to see if I find anything that looks like it could be them.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).