• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Gaps

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Hi need a bit of advice. Sometimes I notice small or partial gaps between the turned blank and the pen section especially the nib sections or centre bands etc. Most of the time they are too small to really notice and maybe I’m being over fussy. But today I turned an acrylic blank on a high end fountain pen (Mistral) and had a small partial gap where the centre band meets the top section. In the end I turned the blank off and called it a day… I’d done a 14 hour shift yesterday 😩
I really want to get this pen right. I guess it’s ensuring that I have a square face on the blank in the first place which I always endeavour to do. Any other ideas from the collective? I use a mandrel, would between centres make any difference?
Kind regards
Alex

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Hi need a bit of advice. Sometimes I notice small or partial gaps between the turned blank and the pen section especially the nib sections or centre bands etc. Most of the time they are too small to really notice and maybe I’m being over fussy. But today I turned an acrylic blank on a high end fountain pen (Mistral) and had a small partial gap where the centre band meets the top section. In the end I turned the blank off and called it a day… I’d done a 14 hour shift yesterday 😩
I really want to get this pen right. I guess it’s ensuring that I have a square face on the blank in the first place which I always endeavour to do. Any other ideas from the collective? I use a mandrel, would between centres make any difference?
Kind regards
Alex
I had the exact same problem last week with a Justice fp I was making for my son. It looked as though the pen was slightly bent where the cap and barrel met. It turned out that the blank end was not exactly square, so I dismantled and put the blank back on the lathe with electrical tape around it to avoid marking it with the chuck, and used a square carbide tool very carefully to go at 90 degrees to the blank to square it. As I checked it as I went along it was easy to see where wood had been removed and I turned it until the "old" wood had just gone.
The pen then looked good when re-assembled.

Sounds like you are not getting your blank ends accurately square when you have glued in the tube.

I hope that helps

Mike

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
I had the exact same problem last week with a Justice fp I was making for my son. It looked as though the pen was slightly bent where the cap and barrel met. It turned out that the blank end was not exactly square, so I dismantled and put the blank back on the lathe with electrical tape around it to avoid marking it with the chuck, and used a square carbide tool very carefully to go at 90 degrees to the blank to square it. As I checked it as I went along it was easy to see where wood had been removed and I turned it until the "old" wood had just gone.
The pen then looked good when re-assembled.

Sounds like you are not getting your blank ends accurately square when you have glued in the tube.

I hope that helps

Mike
Thanks Mike as I thought 👍

Medwoodworx

First Name
Mike
Kind regards
Alex
are you using a barell trimer or a sander? I am asking because sometimes the barell trimer leaves a few fibers uncut. Bare in mind that a barell trimmer needs sharpening from time to time.Cheers.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
As above, it's your trimming... I use a disc sander and it's given better results. You could use a small snail countersink prior to assembly, it will improve the mateing surface🤔🤔

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
I use a disk sander dont like them barrel trimmers just in case the drilling is out a bit I part turn the blank on my mandrel after fixing the tube so that the out side is parallel with the tube then return it to the disk sander using a fence that is set square to the disk with perfect results every time

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
I use a disk sander dont like them barrel trimmers just in case the drilling is out a bit I part turn the blank on my mandrel after fixing the tube so that the out side is parallel with the tube then return it to the disk sander using a fence that is set square to the disk with perfect results every time
Thanks for this I’m going to start doing likewise 👍

Rich Aldrich

First Name
Richard
I prefer between centers. My mandrels work well for a couple of pens then go out of round. Is the shaft and barrel trimmer out of round? You may want to chuck it up to see if it runs true. Debris in the tube can cause alignment issues. My two pence!

jrista

First Name
Jon
To add to what others have said, I use a disc sander with a pen sanding jig to get perfectly square ends on my blanks. I started using barrel trimmers, but I could never get the ends perfect. I've also had the reamer part get stuck in a couple of cases...honestly not sure why. In any case, you can make, or buy, jigs that will help you, using a set of center punches, get the blanks perfectly square to the disc. This really helps with ensuring there are no gaps between parts and turned blank.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I found making devices,using a large sander several solid punches in four sets to get snug holding at right angles to the sander. I choose a 100 grit disk,always ready and just so accurate IMHO.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Once I have glued in my tubes I turn the blanks round then pop them in the Chuck on a metal lathe and trim the blanks back to the face of the tube with a carbide facing tool. Perfectly square every time. I then pop them onto the bushings and finish turning and polishing the blank.

TrevorMcW

Apprentice Member
First Name
Trevor
Yep, partial turning of the barrel(s) to ensure good reference vertically then disk sanding with a jig to ensure good reference laterally.
Only tip I'd give otherwise is go easy feeding into the disk sander, even 100 grit is vicious and its difficult to creep up on the barrel end when you are blind to it.

Cheers

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).