• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ghost Gum Ares

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
TM Ares with a Ghost gum wood blank, one of the blanks I have dug out that [MENTION=74]wm460[/MENTION] sent me a few years ago now.

Ghost gum is part of the Eucalyptus family apparently. (Corymbia aparrerinja)

Finished with around 10 coats of Melamine lacquer and then left overnight to harden then finished with yorkshire grit and final polish.
[MENTION=626]flexi[/MENTION], sorry no box "yet" :wink: Just wondering what wood to use for it. I have a piece of Lignum Vitae..:thinks:

Ghost gum-a.jpg Ghost gum-b.jpg

Ghost gum-c.jpg Ghost Gum-d.jpg

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Ooooh that's come out very nice!:drool::drool:

As to the box Ropalo lacewood??
Ropalo Lacewood Archives - Exotic Hardwoods UK

Thanks Mark, I don't have any Ropalo that size in, spoke to Lee at woodwise yesterday and £30 for the size I need put it on the higher side. Waiting to see what Luke at Exotic hardwoods come up with.

That looks super Eamonn. A lovely finish. A jarrah box would match the pen possibly.:thumbs:

Cheers Bill, I'm heading off to the shed shortly to see if that piece was talking to you about yesterday is big enough. just going steady today as the late night didn't help.:sob:

I'm cutting the Lignum Vitae to size this morning to see what it shapes up like tho as the colour looks good. If not for this pen it will do for another pen I'm sure.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).