• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Glueing up Blanks.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I have used these polyurethane glues in the past and they are fantastic for gluing pen tubes in they foam up so they are extremely good for gap filling the only problem I found was it started to crystallize if it wasn't used for a while and I would end up throwing half of it away also in the cold weather it thickened and run very slowly unless you warmed it up

This is very true Woody, I tend to buy the small plastic bottles of PU, I take the main top off after I've used some, squeeze the bottle until the glue is near the top, put a thin piece of plastic over the threaded outlet & then screw the top back on. A small piece of a plastic carrier bag will do & you know you've got a good seal as the bottle stays misshaped from being squeezed.
Lasts for ages doing this......Tight, Moi, never :whistling::whistling:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
This is very true Woody, I tend to buy the small plastic bottles of PU, I take the main top off after I've used some, squeeze the bottle until the glue is near the top, put a thin piece of plastic over the threaded outlet & then screw the top back on. A small piece of a plastic carrier bag will do & you know you've got a good seal as the bottle stays misshaped from being squeezed.
Lasts for ages doing this......Tight, Moi, never :whistling::whistling:

Now that makes sense Doug why didn't I think of that I do it with mastic and the likes when I have finished using them so common sense says do it with PU glues

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Glad we had this conversation I just returned from Masters Hardware found a new Gorilla on the shelf price perfect 8 oz for 5.50 Aussie dollars. It is a pva NON foaming glue bought two will test it out tomorrow all being well. Claims same toughness as before with the foaming is foodsafe as well. Water wash up.

Site on the net Gorilla Glue - Home

KInd regards Peter.:goesred:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow
Glad we had this conversation I just returned from Masters Hardware found a new Gorilla on the shelf price perfect 8 oz for 5.50 Aussie dollars. It is a pva NON foaming glue bought two will test it out tomorrow all being well. Claims same toughness as before with the foaming is foodsafe as well. Water wash up.

Site on the net Gorilla Glue - Home

KInd regards Peter.:goesred:

Looking forward to your test results Pete.:winking:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have acute allergic reaction to epoxy resins so I can't use them when combined as twin pack, nor any foam making agent so that rules out many products.
I tend to stick to traditional methods, many which have been forgotten about in today's technological age and money making scams.
You can all waste your money on the latest whizzo stick.
I use only ca for pens, for larger stuff I use cascamite powder, I buy it by the kilo, lasts forever if kept dry.
For filler I mix sawdust or talcum powder with it, dries overnight for turning and cures as it ages.
It has held galleons together for centuries. If it was good enough for ship builders of old it's still good enough for me. and cheap.
How to Apply Cascamite

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I dont think its the point of glue letting anyone down with some time is of the essence like me I can be making pens one day and vases the next then bowls, platters or clocks and I only having a small workshop now I haven't got the room to have pen blanks hanging around drying we all have our own different turning needs and have to work within them needs I used to use PU glues in my old workshop But I could put 6 of my present workshops in the one I had then so I now use CA Med I can start on some pens and finish them all in one go
Happy turning Woody

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).