• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Golden Olympics

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It seems not everyone is happy with the way Team GB is accumulating medals, it's the same old, from losers who are just not up to the job themselves. Don't mention the War has now become don't mention the Olympics and if the cheese-eating surrender monkeys cut down on eating so much cheese perhaps they would have a better chance and if the skippys put as much effort into the Olympics as they do into whingeing perhaps they too would be at least as good as the CESM:kiss:

Team GB stars accused of CHEATING by green-eyed France, Germany and Australia | World | News | Daily Express

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
We beat the lugs off them. I suppose Anna Miers didn't cheat at the last olympics when she knocked Victoria Pendleton off the track & Victoria got penalised because of it. Bad losers some people.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Wow winners are grinners. I heard the most deplorable comments at this Olympics re drug insinuations . Australia with its diminutive population did us proud, consider the cost though it has cost the Australian Taxpayer as much as 11 Million AU per medal. As forum membership goes I look for the same standards, one mans comments anothers whinging depends on how it fits who ever says and listens. Reminds me of the forum comments on Brexit, Brits v Europe.

Chin up its nearly over now back to normal soon. Congratulations to all who compete.

Peter.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
This sort of reporting is sad on two counts, firstly that there has been a journalistic twist put on the events. One athlete says that the results are wuestionable - so be it they are questionable, such as how come they are doing so well, we want a part of that? But "questionable"presented in such a way as that question ability is presented as some form of under hand behaviour. The English language is a wonderful, poetic, and descriptive language but is still so open to interpretation and we always draw conclusions that in the main are wrong and lead to this silly bickering. Secondly the reporting is sad because it reveals amongst our high performance coaches that they don't get it. I am not for one moment suggesting that I am better than they, far from it, but they haven't read Frank Dicks book called Winning, about his coaching technique with Daley Thompson, nor Sir Clive Woodwards book, also called Winning, his semi autobiographical look at the winning of the 2003 Rugby World Cup. The thing that shines through in both is that the foundation stone to life, sport and everything else is integrity. Remove the whinging, the whining and the other mental clutter and excuses and take responsibility for your own performance and suddenly life is full of opportunities and goals get realised. The pschycology of winning is a fascinating topic and the one common feature is that those who seek to reduce or minimise the success of others never ever succeed in their own right - do they?

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Well said Neil :thumbs:

Shock news reporting gets read and sells copy however so will never change!

Sport is competitive and it's a lucrative business so methods will be used which are questionable whether legal or not. Barging in races is commonplace and necessary but isn't it strange that Mo for example was tripped again though the first was his mate. Is that the only way they can beat him?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I loved the way he Mo got up again great measure of the man goodness knows what powers him he looks as if a puff of wind would blow him away. The breed them tough over his homeland.

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
This has got far too serious with the introduction of pschycology (sic) which does nothing to alleviate the merriment of the situation. If you read the book by one of the greatest athletes to have graced the Olympics, Mohammed Ali, you will find that contrary to the statement "the one common feature is that those who seek to reduce or minimise the success of others never ever succeed in their own right" Sonny Liston was far too ugly to be world champion shows that trash talk is quite common and in no way reflects on the capability of those who may use it to entertain us all.

As for shock reporting there was no shock as far as I can see, maybe irony crept in, seeing as how the world leader in the quality reporting world, Murdoch, happens to be a skippy.

The linking of Brexit to this story is quite apt as the krauts and surrender monkeys will have to get used to Team GB doing just fine without them as we have done in the Olympics. Now can we get back to showing Johnny Foreigner how it's done:thumbs:

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Rule Brittania is coming to separation over here as good a move as Brexit no doubt. We are all winners and losers its how you play the game, win or lose. I always remember my Dad the harder he worked the luckier he became according to others.

Peter.

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
GB has done so well and we need the Gold to help balance the economy, someone has to lose, used to be GB we never winged about it then :face:

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I'm really pleased we're ahead of the two Euro bullies France and Germany, especially after Brexit. Many have been trying to find fault with our cyclists and our superior technology for several years now but they haven't been able to find anything out of order. All gold medals cost the recipients country millions, Great Britain is no different in this respect. We have been steadily increasing the monetary support for every Olympics. I'm told proper support for our athletes began when John Major was in power, at least he did something right! :winking:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
GB I am pleased to say has done very well but it has nothing to do with race creed or brexit and everything to do with funding. In 1996 at the Atlanta Olympics we won only 1 Gold medal at that time the Olympic sports had very poor funding compared to the USA,Russia and China. William is quite right about John Major as he asked for Lottery Money to be released into sport and this has slowly but surely built up since 1996 allowing us to nurture our sports people from a young age and paid the wages of professional coaches (some of which are German and French) and gym time and visits to other countries to train including high altitude training and the like. I think the winging you are probably hearing is more to do with lack of funding in comparison to GB not against the athletes themselves until the British press gets hold of the story that is.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I read that each medal TGB has won cost £5.5 Million with funding increasing for the sports that win medals, but it could be a little short-sighted if they cut funds completely to sports that haven't won any, if money is the reason we have done so well and it does appear to be the case then it could end up that we only excel in certain sports and not others. That's not to say that the sports men and women aren't good in their own right, but it could make the difference between winning more medals in more sports and only winning medals in a core set. I would like to see funding for the sports we didn't do well in, perhaps they could milk a bit more from the lottery.

Peter

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Interesting though that the UK is I think the only country that doesn't give a direct cash prize from the olympic commitee. Of course the sponsorship that all medal winners irrespective of nationality can be huge hence some of my earlier comments. e.g. from Singapore for gold = USD $750,000 to Italy USD $189,000 to USA at USD $25,000 and Germany $19,500 :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).