• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Gouge and Chisel shrpening.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Hi
What are you Guys using to sharpen your tools I am looking at Wet stone sharpeners. Any recomendations. I dont want to be spending a fortune.

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
I always found sharpening round woodturning gouges (assuming that’s what you are referring to) on a flat stone by hand to be a bit beyond my ability.

If you want an affordable(ish) option I’d recommend a grinder and if you look up “sharpening woodturning gouges by hand” on YouTube you’ll see lots of examples on how you can do it with a couple of different grit wheels and the tool rest.

If you don’t fancy doing it by hand you could get one of the attachment jigs, such as wolverine (there are cheaper equivalents), that allow you to shape the various grinds.

Personally I went for the Sorby pro edge, but it ain’t cheap…

Cheers
Ash

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I looked at the Sorby pro edge but I can not justify the cost for what I do. The Club has one but they frown on you using it to sharpen your personnel tools its only available to sharpen Club tools.
I have ben looking at the Record wet stone grinders any opinions of these units guys.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have tried a few, I sharpen a lot of chisels, Tormek are fantastic really precise and there are a few cheaper(copies) out there but in an unheated workshop I didn't like the risk of frosting the stone. You can get metal wheels now at a cost. I now have a Sorby and really like it, Axi bought out their copy and then priced it at the same which was really poor marketing as we know the Sorby is overpriced...

loftyhermes

First Name
Steve
I use a Record 6" grinder with a white wheel one side and a pink wheel the other, the pink side has a fixed rest and the white has a Sorby 445 finger nail profiler.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
For turning tools I find the slow grinders like the tormek are a waste of time, I do own a record one but that is reserved for cabinet working chisels and carving chisels.
For my woodturning chisels I use my record grinder with a white wheel as the edge does not last as long as the others because of the speed you cut with them a very fine edge will very quickly dull

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
May be dear, but the pro-edge is the way to go. perfect angles every time you sharpen. And with the use of the trizact 600 belt, a nice polish too.
Kelvin.
Yep another thumbs up for the Sorby Pro-Edge! I have not looked back since getting mine. The cost put me off for a long time, but it’s the best tool in my workshop!

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
May be dear, but the pro-edge is the way to go. perfect angles every time you sharpen. And with the use of the trizact 600 belt, a nice polish too.
Kelvin.
I have to agree with Kelvin, I wouldn’t go back to wheels myself now. The pro-edge is less messy, and also good for me as I haven’t got much room and the footprint is much smaller. I really love it.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I had a delta wet dry grinder and liked it but most often use my 8” Wolf with a fine white wheel and a 120 grit sift wheel . Gives a fast and good edge .
I admit to now getting a Tormek and trading in the delta but the dry grinder gets most use . Mate has a pro edge and likes it but I’ve not gone that route personally . If you can Dave get an 8” wheel, wet or dry it lasts longer and gives a flatter grind

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I had a delta wet dry grinder and liked it but most often use my 8” Wolf with a fine white wheel and a 120 grit sift wheel . Gives a fast and good edge .
I admit to now getting a Tormek and trading in the delta but the dry grinder gets most use . Mate has a pro edge and likes it but I’ve not gone that route personally . If you can Dave get an 8” wheel, wet or dry it lasts longer and gives a flatter grind
Hi
I have bought a 8" wet stone system. I have yet to try it. I will let you know how I get on with it.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I have recommended the Sorby Pro Edge to several people in the past but I went for the Axminster Ultimate Edge when it was on special offer. Same price but more versatile. Before that I was using a modified belt and disc sander. The beauty of any belt system is that you can quickly change grits to suit whatever you’re doing. 60g to reprofile then 120g to sharpen. I used an 800g FB 637 blue film abrasive the other day to get a polished edge.

Gransha20

Apprentice Member
First Name
George
I looked at the Sorby pro edge but I can not justify the cost for what I do. The Club has one but they frown on you using it to sharpen your personnel tools its only available to sharpen Club tools.
I have ben looking at the Record wet stone grinders any opinions of these units guys.
You will end up spending a fortune on sharpeners then buy a pro edge, that's what I did, keep an eye on eBay or watch out for sales.

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
You will end up spending a fortune on sharpeners then buy a pro edge, that's what I did, keep an eye on eBay or watch out for sales.
I totally agree, I wasted so much time and money before biting the bullet and getting a foolproof system that works every time for me. 👍

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
The thing is this a hobby for me one of many. I dont need to make any money out of pens. It does not matter how long it takes for me to re sharpen my gouges or chisels I can afford to spend a full day sharpening one gouge and just enjoy the experience and learning curve using a wet stone. Which is the route I have chosen.
As an example to night I attended my new woodturning Clubs Xmas bash. I donated the first kitless pen I made you may have seen the pictures on the forum. To make that pen it cost me hundreds of pounds in triple lead taps and dies mandrels etc etc. But I watched the raffle and a very expeirenced turner who is way more expeirenced than me checking out the pen. Luckily his number came out and he made a beeline for the pen and snatched it up.
I did not make any money out of the pen but it made my day that the Guy obviously had his mind set on taking it home.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I started with a bench grinder but didn’t find it very easy. I then bought a wet grinder and it was incredibly slow. At some point bought a belt and disc sander for a variety of jobs. Modifying it for tool sharpening was relatively easy. The nice thing about the Ultimate Edge/Pro Edge though is the variety of different belts you can get for them. You can get a diamond belt and even a leather belt for honing. In addition you can also use small mops and abrasive pads on them.
If I only ever did flatwork then I suspect I would have bought a Tormek or something similar.
I try to have a session every now and then checking all my wood turning tools and sharpening them as needed. Sharpening during a wood turning session is quick and easy on a belt grinder but it still Interrupts what you’re doing.

Gert Fitcher

First Name
phil
An ordinary grinder and a Sorby 447 jig (not cheap now) works well in the absence of a ProEdge. I knew several excellent turners who wouldn't use a ProEdge as you couldn't get a hollow gring with it. Otrhers swore by it, of course.