• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Gouges

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Since joining a Wood turning Club and having some tuition I decided it was time to start using my wood lathe. First job was to buy some gouges. I visited a professional wood turners work shop with a view to purchasing some Robert Sorby gouges unfortunately he had sold out. He recommended some Rutlands gouges that he had in stock. Any one have any experience of Rutland gouges and Chisels they are reasonably priced and get good reviews.
I bought a 1" Roughing spindle gouge and a 3/8" spindle gouge for starters. I intend to buy a skew and a Bowl gouge next just need to know if I am not wasting money on the Rutland stuff.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Sorry no experience with their turning bits, but some of their other tools are very good copies of other brands( woodpecker, Veritas)...

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Since joining a Wood turning Club and having some tuition I decided it was time to start using my wood lathe. First job was to buy some gouges. I visited a professional wood turners work shop with a view to purchasing some Robert Sorby gouges unfortunately he had sold out. He recommended some Rutlands gouges that he had in stock. Any one have any experience of Rutland gouges and Chisels they are reasonably priced and get good reviews.
I bought a 1" Roughing spindle gouge and a 3/8" spindle gouge for starters. I intend to buy a skew and a Bowl gouge next just need to know if I am not wasting money on the Rutland stuff.
Dave

I haven’t any rutlands gouges but if they’re HSS they should be ok. For skew Istrongly recommend going to harrogate show ( down road for you ) and buying unhandled Ashley isles 1” skew. Isles roll the edges of their skews which makes them much nicer. You will also get other tools second hand at fair prices from Ray Isles tools there. There are other dealers and all the major brands will be there - sorby, crown , hamlet , Axminster etc
regards Ian

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Dave

I haven’t any rutlands gouges but if they’re HSS they should be ok. For skew Istrongly recommend going to harrogate show ( down road for you ) and buying unhandled Ashley isles 1” skew. Isles roll the edges of their skews which makes them much nicer. You will also get other tools second hand at fair prices from Ray Isles tools there. There are other dealers and all the major brands will be there - sorby, crown , hamlet , Axminster etc
regards Ian
Yes they are HSS. Thanks for the advice I am intending to go to the Harrogate show. I will put off buying any thing else on the back burner and use my spenders at the Show.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
No experience of Rutlands gouges I'm afraid, but another vote for Ashley Iles. Of all the makes I've ever used, theirs hold their edge the longest, and therefore last the longest.

Michael M.

First Name
Michael
I have had all makes of turning tools, including some from Rutland, which I recently gave to a young apprentice joiner, who wanted to try a bit of woodturning. I found them good enough to achieve an acceptable finish on most woods but they didn’t like the ‘harder’ hardwoods like oak and harder and constantly needed sharpening regardless of what I was turning. I go for tools that are not Chinese. I believe the Rutland gouges come from that part of the world. One tool that I bought a long time ago was the 12mm Martin Pidgen All Rounder. It’s a cracking deep fluted gouge that seems to give good results on spindle and bowl blanks. Its sold by Ashley Isles and it’s my go to tool for all things pen turning. It deals with every type of hard wood I’ve had and makes a good job of resin blanks too, especially polyester blanks which chip very easily. I think there’s a YouTube video on it somewhere by Paul Loseby (?). If I could recommend two more things, one would be don’t buy a box set of gouges, buy them individually to suit your needs and the second would be to buy the widest skew you can afford, you’ll find it easier to use at the beginning. Rolled edge skews do seem easier to master. Most good tool suppliers at the shows will let you try a tool out before you buy. Not sure if Axminster outlets still let you try before you buy but it’s worth checking them out too.

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Crown, Robert Sorby, Hamlet, Ashley Iles, one, Home of Woodworking (USA) and some Record Power gouges. The only ones I would use. Tried others, no good, to soft or not keeping an edge. Remember, not all HSS are the same. (Hardness, 63-65 Rockwell)
Kelvin

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I’ve got mostly Crown, Hamlet and Record Power tools and can’t tell the difference between any of them in use. My favourite spindle gouge is however a Henry Taylor 3/8”. I have another gouge the same size but even with an identical grind it doesn’t seem as good.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I now have more spindle gouges bowl gouges parting and detailing chisels skew chisels etc than you can shake a stick at. But turning on the wood lathe is proving to be a struggle. To nights effort a Snow Man and a Toadstool was hard work. Not sure if this is going to work out for me.
A bit disapointed at the moment.

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Don’t give up, I usually find that things don’t turn out when I’m in a bit of a rush or think I know what I’m doing and I get a bit slapdash about the process. Then when things go pear-shaped I get down and want to chuck the whole thing in.

That’s when I often call to mind two pieces of advice I was given by a very wise elderly nun nearly 50 years ago:

1.Now is not forever
and
2. Never make a decision when you’re having a bad day, chances are it’ll be a bad decision 😆

Keep going pal!

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hi Dave

You don’t say exactly what the issue is but when I started spindle turning I learnt how to cut beads and coves by practicing repeatedly on a piece of pine 2x2 as in this video.

Make sure your tools are sharp and your speed is up nice and high (whilst feeling safe to you obviously) and just keep riding the bevel. This video is a little long-winded but it covers everything.

I can’t recommend doing this practice exercise enough as it helps develop the muscle memory for these two basic cuts (they’re the only two you really need for spindle turning apart from flattening and parting). After a few goes you’ll find the wood chips start flying off and you’ll begin to get consistent cuts and nice regular shapes after just a couple of passes with the tool. Like the pros 😊.

The main thing is don’t give up. You’re closer than you think.

Cheers
Ash

Last edited:

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the video link. I spent to day in my Shed rearranging. I have moved the lathes about I can now access the wood lathe and the Metal lathe. I need to something with the Mill but that can wait. So I can now practice practice practice.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I now have more spindle gouges bowl gouges parting and detailing chisels skew chisels etc than you can shake a stick at. But turning on the wood lathe is proving to be a struggle. To nights effort a Snow Man and a Toadstool was hard work. Not sure if this is going to work out for me.
A bit disapointed at the moment.
Don’t giveup. Practice and sharpen tools . Try others tools at the club to see what grinds / angles of edge they find best.

Come along to Harrogate and try stuff out . Soft wood tells you quickly if tools are blunt.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I am at Harrogate on the Friday.
That’s the worst day for crowds I found but best choices are available on all stands. Go watch Andrew Hall and Margaret Garrard for some inspiration as to what can be achieved.

Having said that the second hand tool stalls will all be fully stocked with bargains! I stand by my recommendation of a rolled edge skew from Ashley Isles !

Have fun and “save “ lots 😉

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I have all ready purchased all the spindle gouges and Chisels I need to get under way in my turning journey as advised by my Tutor as well as Bowl gouges etc. So I am all tooled up. My wood lathe is set up in my workshop so I am good to go.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I have all ready purchased all the spindle gouges and Chisels I need to get under way in my turning journey as advised by my Tutor as well as Bowl gouges etc. So I am all tooled up. My wood lathe is set up in my workshop so I am good to go.
I still recommend Andrew And Margaret for inspiration and advice though. Hope you enjoy the day .

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I have spent to day at the Harrogate Show. WOW it was a blast. Bought a Woodturners smock. Bought a Ashley Isles gouge as recomended.
Bought some nice pieces of wood to make some Gonks and Snow men out off. May be a Christmas tree or two and some pens of course.
Watched some demo,s (The Tiny Turner was one of them.) A good day. Cant wait to get in the Shed. I think I have mastered the roughing gouge and the other tools are not so daunting now I think its starting to make sense. A Guy at the Club watched me make a Snowman he has been turning a lot longer than me he asked if I would make him one for his wife I was flabbergasted.