• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Grinding wheel

michaelperez

First Name
Michael
Hi, i am in a dilemma about which grinding wheel should i buy, I don’t have information and experience with grinding wheels and in Peru there aren’t many options.
I have a regular old fashion grinder 1/2 HP 3,450 RPM, that has 3/4" black wheels (doesn’t have any specification) and 5/8 shaft. Is very difficult for me to take a decision because of the lack of knowledge it’s been more like a bet what to buy.
My options are:
In Peru , Makita white stone, Aluminium oxide, 60 grit $23
Axminster 180 grit CBN wheel in the door of my house around $180 to $190.
I know CBN is a better option but I’d like to know if I really need to buy CBN and is a MUST or NOT so indispensable and is more like a luxury.
I’m about to go for the Makita because i can’t find information and feedback about the Axminster CBN wheel brand. So please your experience and advices are welcome and it’s going to help me a lot.:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
CBN wheels are like the Cadillac of wheels but you don't need them, just nice to have if you do a lot of turning. One thing to consider is that due to the weight of the steel wheel you need a powerful grinder to spin them, 3/4 or 1hp are usually used here for the 8" wheels.

Do you have industrial suppliers that sell abrasive wheels? Most industrial grinders using aluminium oxide wheels are grey and are basically the same as the white ones at a lower cost. They come in a range of grits and bonds (ease at which the grit wears). The softer wheels wear faster but run cooler and the harder last longer but are hotter. If you can go to or call one of the sellers they will be able to pick out a wheel or two and they will likely be cheaper than bringing them in from North America or Europe from a hobby supplier. You can do searches for grinding wheel marking systems to understand what the letter/numbers mean. Some to start with.

Understanding the Marking System for Grinding Wheels

Grinding Wheel Basics | Norton Abrasives

GRINDING WHEEL and ABRASIVES BASICS

Pete

michaelperez

First Name
Michael
CBN wheels are like the Cadillac of wheels but you don't need them, just nice to have if you do a lot of turning. One thing to consider is that due to the weight of the steel wheel you need a powerful grinder to spin them, 3/4 or 1hp are usually used here for the 8" wheels.

Do you have industrial suppliers that sell abrasive wheels? Most industrial grinders using aluminium oxide wheels are grey and are basically the same as the white ones at a lower cost. They come in a range of grits and bonds (ease at which the grit wears). The softer wheels wear faster but run cooler and the harder last longer but are hotter. If you can go to or call one of the sellers they will be able to pick out a wheel or two and they will likely be cheaper than bringing them in from North America or Europe from a hobby supplier. You can do searches for grinding wheel marking systems to understand what the letter/numbers mean. Some to start with.

Pete

Thank you so much, tonight I’ll be studying everything you send me before I buy anything.
The Makita white grinding wheel is the only one I could find that has a well reputation brand(unfortunately the finest grit is 60), here in home centers couldn’t find many options, maybe tomorrow I’ll go to check at other home centers.
My other option was the Norton 100 or 150 white wheel but it will cost me more than $66 in sale in amazon and the CBN around 180 (both alternative including bushing and shipping cost)
And I’m also afraid that the Norton can break in the way to Peru for that reason didn’t mentioned it.
Greetings

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Michael you already have the grinder a 20 dollar wheel is a small investment and would give you time to consider which tools you want to use some require or need different sharpening.:thumbs:

michaelperez

First Name
Michael
Thank you so much for your recommendations, today just went to a mechanical metal fair and contacted 2 companies that sell some grinding wheels and they have aluminum oxide so I hope they have something around 100 and 120 grit.
My first option was to start with the Makita wheel, is the cheapest and easiest one but my concern is if it’s going to work I mean if im going to get appropriate sharpened tools.
There is also a makita 120 grit but it is silicon carbide, don’t know if it is the best option?

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark

Pete

Interesting links, I learnt a few thing from them.:thumbs::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).