• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Group of Executives

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
Very nice group Jim. Do you remember where you got the orange/black black?

I believe it's Hog Wild. I painted the tube orange.

Acrylic Acetate #48 - Hog Wild - WoodTurningz

There's also a similar blank called All Hallows Eve.

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2948

This is also Hog Wild, but I painted the tubes black. You can see it's darker.

http://www.penturners.co.uk/acrylic-turned-items/18118-cigar-hog-wild.html?highlight=wild

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
They look superb Jim, superb jobs mate.

interested what you think about the pink ones..looks like the tubes are showing in sections.

I have done a few of them but never been impressed with the finish due to how clear some of the areas of blank.

I have done them reverse painted, painted tubes and reverse painted and to also nothing at all but never been impressed with the finish.

Would like your take on them.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
With a rash and a rush ,full quiver or beautiful pens Jim I am totally impressed. Showing them all in their true way front,back, both sideways truly depicts how wonderful they are and for us can become if we choose in the future for us.

I carefully looked at the pinks they hold the reflected line except when the white swirl crosses occasionally they sure hold up as exciting Pink Pens. In the last two Pink Pen Pics there are dark patches as the light hits. I imagine your lights are strong causing this. The second pink pen also. Overall beautiful patterns in the pinks.

Over time I have become accustomed to and enjoy the excellence in your pens.

Thankyou Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
They look superb Jim, superb jobs mate.

interested what you think about the pink ones..looks like the tubes are showing in sections.

I have done a few of them but never been impressed with the finish due to how clear some of the areas of blank.

I have done them reverse painted, painted tubes and reverse painted and to also nothing at all but never been impressed with the finish.

Would like your take on them.

I painted both tubes and colored the epoxy. I don't think you can see the tubes so much, but you can see the epoxy in places. Both would probably have looked better if I had painted the holes, especially the pink and white one. It's clear in places.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I painted both tubes and colored the epoxy. I don't think you can see the tubes so much, but you can see the epoxy in places. Both would probably have looked better if I had painted the holes, especially the pink and white one. It's clear in places.

I agree, the last ones I have done I had the same problem.

Drilled ones out today and reverse painted and painted the tubes but had a problem of very fine cracks in the acrylic from when I had drilled it out.. Think that is down to drilling a little quick and over heating. Will post pic tomos to show the problem.

Will try again,.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I wonder always why the makers of kits dont unite to ngive adequate provision for the final product be it timber or plastic. I found one time drilling faux ivory the shell simply sagged to lean over. Luckily I supported it by hand for a minute and recovered the pen.'

With timber you could almost say you are working with a veneer of timber over the brass. Dreadfull really.

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I agree, the last ones I have done I had the same problem.

Drilled ones out today and reverse painted and painted the tubes but had a problem of very fine cracks in the acrylic from when I had drilled it out.. Think that is down to drilling a little quick and over heating. Will post pic tomos to show the problem.

Will try again,.

Here you go Jim,

Picture of what happened to my blank.

View attachment 31345

I have never seen this happen to a acrylic blank before. Would be interested if anyone else had seen this happen.

Problem with this blank is its is very clear.

I mixed an acrylic pain to match the colour of the blank then reverse painted them and also painted the tubes the same colour.

The moment I reverse painted I could see the fine lines so knew it would finish like it has but never the less I continued just to see the outcome.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I reckon so often this effect occurs in timber as well bound together in the finishing CA. How many times do you read a bit chipped (glued it back on).

Peter

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
Here you go Jim,

Picture of what happened to my blank.

View attachment 31345

I have never seen this happen to a acrylic blank before. Would be interested if anyone else had seen this happen.

Problem with this blank is its is very clear.

I mixed an acrylic pain to match the colour of the blank then reverse painted them and also painted the tubes the same colour.

The moment I reverse painted I could see the fine lines so knew it would finish like it has but never the less I continued just to see the outcome.

Looks to me like the paint wrinkled inside the blank. What kind of glue did you use?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Looks to me like the paint wrinkled inside the blank. What kind of glue did you use?

It's not glue wrinkling, after I drilled the blank they were fine marks evident then, when I reverse painted the blanks they appeared as they are now. That was prior to fixing the tubes in. I wanted to glue the tubes in to see if there was any further changes or if it effected the acrylic paint.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).