• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Guinness Pen

johnny5

Registered
An Omega Gunmetal Fountain pen,
Made using off cuts i found in my box , Had trouble with what i think is alternative bone, Black specs in the blank when finished
The Black Acrylic turned well.
Reminds me of a pint of Guinness??
Any suggestions what the white blank is , turned like ebonite without the smell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P8155700.JPGP8155701.JPGP8155703.JPGP8155705.JPGP8155707.JPGP8155708.JPG

johnny5

Registered
Havent a clue Johnny but I think it spoils your pen. its a see through where the components have been fitted. Otherwise a very well turned pen.

I agree peter, i painted the tube white so do not know how the mechanisms are showing through?
Will be dismantling the cap and turning with a different blank.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Would have been a nice pen if it wasn't for the cap blank problems, hope you can save it

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The cap blanks looks a little like casein, but I have no idea why there would be black spots in there.

Peter

johnny5

Registered
Casein is used for modern scrimshaw items .
So i decided to do some Scrimshaw pyrography to the upper Blank. Workshop now stinking with smoke.
This will have to be a keeper unless i decide to get rid of the upper blank altogether
Looks & feels like real Dragon Skin

P8155709.JPGP8155710.JPGP8155712.JPGP8155711.JPG

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Sensible correction mate the cap was Caseine last weekend seeing Fish leather attached with CA then CA over the effect was like you achieved. Congratulations on your recovery of the pen.

One difficult task IMHO is to achieve harmony with different materials cap to body of a pen, love the answer here. Breaking new ground as well Johnny. That Casein was never going to fly.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).