• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Harrogate Show

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Just got back from Harrogate. Very good show with lots of trade stands and demonstrations but it was packed. I was struggling anyway with a broken toe but you just couldn't get near some of the stands especially the likes of axminster. After 2 hours of fighting my way about I gave up and took wife to Knaresborough. Shame as I had £400 cash burning a hole in my pocket and only managed to spend just over half of it with lots more that I wanted but I got fed up being shoved around. Did manage to get the sovereign ultima hollowing system with side handle, sharpening jig, spare cutter etc for about £50 less than the cheapest internet deal so not a wasted day. I'll go back next year but only if there's more room. Perhaps its better at the weekend.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have never heard of the Harrogate show, but it sounds like it will be worth a visit next year, was there any blanks for sale?

Peter

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Hi Peter, its the biggest woodworking and power tool show in the country. Plenty of timber and blanks for sale too.

Jim

Grand Master
Just got back from Harrogate. Very good show with lots of trade stands and demonstrations but it was packed. I was struggling anyway with a broken toe but you just couldn't get near some of the stands especially the likes of axminster. After 2 hours of fighting my way about I gave up and took wife to Knaresborough. Shame as I had £400 cash burning a hole in my pocket and only managed to spend just over half of it with lots more that I wanted but I got fed up being shoved around. Did manage to get the sovereign ultima hollowing system with side handle, sharpening jig, spare cutter etc for about £50 less than the cheapest internet deal so not a wasted day. I'll go back next year but only if there's more room. Perhaps its better at the weekend.

I can just imagine the face ... :whistling::whistling:

Don't forget to give us a review on the Ultima Hollowing System Keith, it is something that i have looked at in the past ... :thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have just got back and I've been going for a few years now and I have never seen it as packed as today. Having said that at about 2 pm it dropped off considerably and it was easy to get to the stalls. Purchased a belt and disc sander - a skew - a continental rouging gouge. Also various pieces of wood. The highlight for me was watching Stuart Mortimer work his magic on the lathe. He is a true professional and his participation with his audience is brilliant plus his work is stunning!!!!!
He said to me that he thought he new me and I said we hadn't met unless he looks in on this forum and has seen my ugly mush!!!!!

Jim

Grand Master
I knew you would walk out of there with a gouge Terry, don't ask me why ... :pray:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I can just imagine the face ... :whistling::whistling:

Don't forget to give us a review on the Ultima Hollowing System Keith, it is something that i have looked at in the past ... :thumbs:

Will do James. I've got 8 or 9 pen commissions to get out the way then will attempt some hollowing work. Could be interesting as it will be my debut at this work so will start small. The tool itself certainly looks very well engineered, its solid!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter, its the biggest woodworking and power tool show in the country. Plenty of timber and blanks for sale too.

That makes it worse that I have never heard of the biggest woodworking and power tool show in the country, mind you it is called Tharrogate Show and I could be forgiven for thinking it was all about Yorkshire puds:whistling:

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Will do James. I've got 8 or 9 pen commissions to get out the way then will attempt some hollowing work. Could be interesting as it will be my debut at this work so will start small. The tool itself certainly looks very well engineered, its solid!

I have had one since our open day it took a little while to get the hang of after using the rolly munro but now it works a treat I made the last two vases with it with shavings flying out all over the place

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).