• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

HDMI Splitters etc.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I recently bough a new desktop computer, when I bought it I didn't realise that it had HDMI ports not VGA.:vangry:
There are 2 HDMI ports on the rear, at the moment I have one monitor going to one port.

1714282708209.png

If I bought this splitter would I be able to connect both monitors plus a TV and a external hard drive?

The speaker system has the VGA plug if I buy the cable in the following link, would that work?

monophoto

First Name
Louie
The photo also shows five USB ports. I think they would be more appropriate for an external hard drive.

I have a USB 'splitter' in one of the USB ports on my computer. I have the keyboard and mouse plugged into the splitter along with a couple of USB flash drives to provide additional memory. I have an external hard drive plugged into another on-board USB port, and I have a separate DVD drive that I can also plug in if needed. There are additional USB ports on the front that I use for temporary connections - phone, camera, etc.

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
Mark, I'm not 100% sure what your intention is, but I can see this straight off: that splitter will give you up to 4 monitors/TVs showing the IDENTICAL picture.

You will not be able to extend your desktop across multiple monitors the way you would if you have a monitor plugged into each of the ports on the back of the computer.

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
Hi Mark (long time no speak) What Duncan says is essentially correct you could have the 2 monitors extended if you ran one direct hdmi and the other through the splitter (if the 2 HDMI ports allow that to happen at the moment) , however, whether the speakers would work at the same time is not obvious, unless the splitter is configured sufficiently to split the video and sound correctly. The other solution would be to put a separate graphics card in with hdmi vga and display port outputs.