• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello from a complete beginner

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Welcome Denis. I think everybody has a story to tell of their first attempts at turning - we all push just that little bit harder than we should at first and end up throwing away the bit we were working on. Heck, that still happens to some people i know! :goesred:

Practice makes perfect, and you'll find a lot of good advice on here. We're a bit lighthearted here, but don't be fooled - we're passionate about pens and turning. Looking forward to you becoming an integral part of the forum!

DJH146

Apprentice Member
Wow, thanks for all the replies, what a great welcome. Now here comes the first question, bluntchisel has said that the best kits to start with are either a slimline or a euro, I'm just wondering why this is?

Thanks again

Denis

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Wow, thanks for all the replies, what a great welcome. Now here comes the first question, bluntchisel has said that the best kits to start with are either a slimline or a euro, I'm just wondering why this is?

Thanks again

Denis

Well Timber bit is a good place

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Because they are the cheapest of th available kits in the Uk. Therefore any mistake don't too costly, simples init?
Do not underestimate the simple Slimline as some people call them they are more complex than most of the so called high end pens.
All depends on your budget as to what is easy and hard.
The Sierra is the easiest pen in my book and a good seller I would suggest a start with that.

dotslad

Graduate Member
Slimlines are very versatile with a streamlines centre band they can be converted to a streamline pen also a longwood pen plus many more variations and they are not expensive best place to buy the kits is Timber bits in Australia they supply excellent kits at very good prices if you buy from them you have to be patient as they take about a fortnight for delivery and it pays to just buy little and often to avoid import duties. Brian is right the Sierra is as he say's
regards Ian :ciggrin::ciggrin::ciggrin:

Jim

Grand Master
Before sending off an order to Timberbits or anywhere else find a supplier in the UK (Ebay) and buy a few kits to get your hand in ... Once you feel you are comfortable then start spreading your wings a little and go for other kits .. This place here is in the UK and has a big choice of pen kits .. Loads of Kits can be seen here ... :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I think Bluntchisel was recommending the slimline because they are the cheapest, so if you cock up you wont be loosing a fortune ... they are however not the easiest to tame ,but by mastering the slimline the kit world becomes your oyster and so spend , spend, spend with confidence..I think that's what Bob was saying.:thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I think Bluntchisel was recommending the slimline because they are the cheapest, so if you cock up you wont be loosing a fortune ... they are however not the easiest to tame ,but by mastering the slimline the kit world becomes your oyster and so spend , spend, spend with confidence..I think that's what Bob was saying.:thumbs:

I have to agree with you on this one !!!!!

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Yes, guys, you are right in your understanding of my meaning. Buy a few cheap kits and blanks - and practice! Until you master the slimline there's no real point in progressing further. Brian rightly mentions that the slimline can be a problem - but they are problems you will come across on other, more expensive kits - so stick with the slimline!

Regards,

Bob.

Attachments

• Warming Chamber Set Up (1) (1) (1).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

DJH146

Apprentice Member
Well I turned my first pen last night, quite pleased with the end result for a first go. I have been trying to put up a photo but having a bit of a problem getting the photo to the right size.:thinks:

I'd just like to say thanks again for all the advice. I've ordered myself some cheap slimline kits so I can keep practicing.

Cheers

Denis

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
cut a few pieces of scrap wood (any kind) and put it between centers on the lathe. Practice using the various chisels until you are comfortable handling them. It will take a lot of stress out of your pen turning.
Sharon

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).