• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello from Keith B

KeithB

Registered
First Name
Keith
Hi everyone, I am new to using forums and a new member of The Penturners Forum. A little about me I am retired so have the luxury of being able to do my woodturning whenever I feel ready and my good wife agrees. Suffering with various ailments does interfere with my hobby. One particularly pesky problem I have is caused by a condition called 'Benign Essential Tremors', this causes my hands to shake and have great difficulty in controlling the tools. Pen turning is a new interest to me, although I did have a dabble some 12 months ago, I find it great fun. I feel that belonging to a woodturning club is very important, you meet fellow turners, see great demonstrations and can exchange ideas. Wolverhampton Woodturners and West Midlands Woodturners are the two clubs that I belong to, I don't know everyone's name from these clubs so if any are members of the forum I would to hear from them. As I said, pen turning is new to me but it has already taken over my two little sheds. Well, there you are, a little bit about me. Now what I am looking to learn are some ideas for pen finishes, I have one great method but am really anxious to learn more. Best wishes, Keith :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:B

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hello, Keith,

Here's wishing you a hearty welcome to the nuthouse. I can see already by what you write that you've got a lot of common sense, so you'll go far here, matey. That is provided you keep well away from the certified lunatics that reside in these pages - getting too close to these deviants will earn you a certificate (of lunacy!).
Good luck, and enjoy our great hobby of wood and pen turning!

Bob.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Welcome to the fun house Keith, you will learn much from the members here, I have. Pen turning is addictive, you have been warned. As for having two sheds, I envy you sir, for I have all but.. none. :sob::sob::thumbs::thumbs:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Hello Keith, welcome to the Asylum for the strange and disturbed Penturners ! you will have fun and some good advice from the members here, enjoy it mate..:thumbs:
Just remember to keep taking the tablets!:sob:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hope you have a good sense of humour Keith as you will need it on here as the inmates are a load of nutters except one or two.

Welcome aboard

Barry

Graduate Member
First Name
Barry
Hi Keith from one geriatric to another welcome to the house of fun were in the west mids are you if its near telford your welcome to pop in

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Welcome Kieth. Loads to learn on here. More options on finishing than you might imagine, but great fun trying them out. Enjoy.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Keith ,welcome to the forums ...give it three months and you'll be as mad as the rest of us.:fart:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I made a 45 degree tool rest holder for pens , the angle is great for me, I think it would help you hold the chisel flat on the rest to control the shakes, worth a try mate. Made mine this size to clear the dust extraction under. Welcome to the forum.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Keith another thing I do is sit at my lathe comfortably operating it as long as many hours without discomfort, using this adjustable chair. Also because I am right handed I was able to make use of an old drawer to hold tools etc this way.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).