• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello from Kent

Paul

Fellow
Paul, welcome. My advice would be to try a pen like a cigar, its a relatively cheap kit, get some spare tubes and you can make a few in different woods and then assemble the best looking one. Why do I recommend the cigar, as I said its a cheapish kit, both tubes are the same at 10mm so you dont have to go buying odd sizes to start with (although when you do make sure you buy the imperial sizes and not the nearest to metric sizes). The cigar needs a bit of shaping at both ends so its not a case of a straight ish cut. The fittings top, bottom and the middle are designed to have texture to hide the imperfect match between wood and metalwork so you can produce a damn good pen with little experience. Cant agree with Ian, I woud avoid the Jr Gents to start with as the cap requires a good dimensional match to make it a good pen.

Thanks chaps. Full of impatience I ordered 10 euro style from axeminister! I just made a slimline with a "bulb" bit between nib and middle band (looks strange, fits well) and certainly like the feel of more wood so looking forward to thicker pens... Next order will be cigars having just checked them out!

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome to the mad house Paul.. It will be nice to see some of your work on here. :thumbs:

In my opinion for what it's worth is have a go at the sierras. Or aero's as some call them, single tube pens, simple to make and simple to build.

They are good for a "strip back down" as well if you have any problems..

Don't get me wrong, any can be stripped back but these are easier.. :rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).