• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello from Surrey

ChrisK

Apprentice Member
First Name
Chris
Hello to all.
Thought I'd introduce myself and show you a pic of my latest creation. I'm living in Surrey, had my lathe a number of years doing odds and ends, but nothing seriously. Am now retired and trying to learn more about woodturning and get some results from my time in the shed.
Have created several pens and a couple of bowls, but the pens always seem to have their instructions written wrong, or their parts don't fit correctly.... I'm sure it can't always be me!!!... Can it?
Anyway, my latest was an Axminster purchased Americana 10ct pen. Which although turned out nice in the end had a couple of problems with it trying to get the mechanism working.... Every time I tried to adjust the pen, it came unscrewed.. Doh?
Managed to get it working OK in the end with a little fiddling!
Hope you like the results.

Sorry about the 'upside down ' shot... The original was 'the correct way' but I can't seem to rotate it here???... Damn iPad

View attachment 27882

Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 48

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hi and welcome to the nut house Chris I hope you know what you have let yourself in for doing pens there is no turning back

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Chris ,welcome to the forum..that's a great pen and a great pic ..what worries me is ...does her indoors know that you are using her best tablecloth as a background ?:winking:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Hey up Surry, (friendly term used in my neck oh the woods) how at doing?

Welcome on board, as for pen instructions, what are they? :funny: doh!

Yes you will find allot of instructions are written by our little Taiwan friends. As for poorly fitting parts, that can be a problem but usually with the cheaper kit suppliers in the world that don't seem to have any quality control.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Cris thoughts on instructions I used to think computer people were all aliens that wrote instructions. I recently (no thanks to Windows 10) had to buy a new printer cause the old beaut laser was not supported. In the shop I asked for a user manual, answer,I dunno. So I got stroppy and they made from the internet 270 pages on the printer in detail on colour paper. Got it home it still failed to address the basic questions I had. They assume too much.

Peter.

ChrisK

Apprentice Member
First Name
Chris
Thanks for the welcome folks, and thanks to Buckeye for the picture edit. Nice to see some of the work that others have done. Hopefully will make a few more here with not too many mistakes. :)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).