• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Help finishing Ebonite

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Hi
I was asked for a black click pen. I don,t like working with black blanks. I thought I would try ebonite. Big mistake I can not get rid of all the scratches how do you guys finish ebonite.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I don't like black blanks either!!
Ebonite is just hard rubber?? Personally I go through the grits radially and axially, WIPE DOWN BETWEEN, then liquid polishes takeing time and prevent heat building up....

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I am going to see the Guy to morrow I will be giving him the option I have turned two pens. In my opinion they are rubbish he can have them for free I will be pointing out the poor finish. I will take the loss he can have them or they go in the bin. Never again will I turn a black pen blank.
Lesson learned.

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
What's wrong with using a standard black acrylic/resin pen blank, instead of Ebonite

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Ebonite can be made to shine. This one was turned then sanded to about 600 if memory serves or 0000 steel wool, sanding around and lengthwise. Wipe between grits. Do it at speeds of 1000 to 1500rpm. Then I used the three wheels of the Beall buffer at around 1200 rpm. Polishing across, on 45º to the left and right and finally lengthwise. Clean off the compound with a soft cloth before going up to the next grit so you don't bring coarse grit to the finer wheels. A good practice for all buffing.

Pete

P9240368.jpg

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Ebonite can be made to shine. This one was turned then sanded to about 600 if memory serves or 0000 steel wool, sanding around and lengthwise. Wipe between grits. Do it at speeds of 1000 to 1500rpm. Then I used the three wheels of the Beall buffer at around 1200 rpm. Polishing across, on 45º to the left and right and finally lengthwise. Clean off the compound with a soft cloth before going up to the next grit so you don't bring coarse grit to the finer wheels. A good practice for all buffing.

Pete

View attachment 50383
Very nice Pete!

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave

Pete

View attachment 50383

That is more or less the same system I use. I am not happy with the pen so I will use it my self un less some one wants it and I can give it away.
Some one at work will probably be able to use it.

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Omne thing i dont like about Ebonite is it does turn that horrible faded yellow brown colour over time, although it does take a good 70 to 80 years though. Just look at some of the Vintage pens that where made of it. All once a glorious black and now just look like a sick turd 💩

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
I have a couple of Ebonite blanks I wont be using ever again I am done with Ebonite if you want them pm me you can have them for the cost of postage,
I’m sure they’ll find a good home, and there are some very nice pens made from it, but personally I am not a fan of the smell or the mess it makes.
It also blunts your tools really quickly.
Apart from that it’s great 😊.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I understand all the grief with ebonite, but I find it fairly easy to finish. (I didn't say anything about the turning - I find that a challenge!)

I sand to 1200 (wet and dry used dry).
I then use Liberon 0000 wire wool "with the grain" so to speak, with the lathe stopped. (Not all 0000 wire wool is equal - some of it is quite course, but Liberon is the finest I have ever found)
I then use Chestnut burnishing cream with the lathe running.

The result is a a high lustre, not a high gloss, which to my mind is exactly the sort of shine you want from ebonite.