• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Help my CA is Fizzing and turning white as soon as i apply an accelerator?

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Hi all

I need some help

I am getting some very odd results applying CA as a pen finish.

When I first started practicing with a CA finish I used a no name brand of CA and a can of no name brand Accelerator and in the end I was getting some excellent results. But I eventually ran out of both, when I went to buy some more I found the shop had shut down, so I had to try a different supplier and they only stocked branded CA, so I bought ZAP products both CA and Accelerator but found in use as soon as the Accelerator was applied the CA fizzed up and went all white and lumpy. So thinking I need something else I went to a different supplier and came away with a set from O3a. But when I tried this one I got the same fizzing and turning white, I then in desperation picked up another bottle of CA from a local builders merchant, this time a brand I had not heard of before but again using it with either of the Accelerators I again got the same results.

Anyone got any ideas as to why it is happening.

As a stop gap until I figure this out I am using the old BLO method to set the CA but at the moment I am not getting as good a result as got with the first bottle CA and Accelerator.

Help

Thanks

Paul

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
If its going white I think it generally means too much moisture, this could be from too thick an application or greasy wood?
Have you tried this method on different blanks? How thick are you applying it? Are the coats fully dry between applications?

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
What grade of CA are you using you can get thin medium or thick. You should be using thin. I buy my CA from Axminster tools.
Having said that I have never used CA has a finish.

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
My process is basically the same as shown on many YouTube videos, that is 2 or 3 coats of thin followed by 3 or 4coats of medium, I only used the Accelerator on the medium. I could try just using the thin but that would need I guess 40 coats to get a suitable thickness.

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
If its going white I think it generally means too much moisture, this could be from too thick an application or greasy wood?
Have you tried this method on different blanks? How thick are you applying it? Are the coats fully dry between applications?

I am using the single drop of CA on a paper towel rubbed on the blank then a spritz of activator method, perhaps I am using too much activator as the 2 new cans do not spray as fine a mist as the first can did, could that be my issue.?

SorinS

First Name
Sorin
This happened to me too, from time to time, not very often though. I still have no clue about such random result. However, what I found to be somehow useful is to spray the accelerator from, at least, 25-30-40 cm, with the lathe turning at the same speed as for applying CA (around 200 rpm), and in short shots, 1 or 2 max. Don't worry about the distance, the particles will reach the pen anyway and you should not necessary cover the entire surface, it works in chain reaction.
When I had such incidents I sanded the pen with 120/180 grit until I got an uniform smooth surface and then start the process again. Trial and error is the way for self learning and it's probably the best, as you'll never make the same mistakes again (instead, you'll make another 1000 new ones!). Good luck!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Compatability between the CA brand and accelerator,you can wait between coats of CA and not use accellerator as wellEliminate the step where this occurs.

Toothillcollie

First Name
Tony
Hi, I use screwfix no nonsense superglue (thin) and toolstation red label superglue (medium) for middle coat then finish with blue label (thick) for final coat.
Bond it Accelerator from Amazon, 12 cans for £28
I polish with a dry cloth between layers and I have been getting superb results on different woods, resins and hybrids. Regards