• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Help needed re CA glue removal

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
I have just turned an Aquilo kit from Beaufort Inks. I think it is a great kit.
When assembling the section connector was a loose fit, so I put some ca glue in the tube to secure it in.
My mistake was to allow more than a drop of glue into the tube, and the excess has run down the inside of the tube and -yes you've guessed it -over the threads in the clip assembly which had already been pressed in. I didn't realise this until a minute or so later so it was too late and the glue had cured.
So now I can't screw in the mechanism, and also the clip assembly is also stuck in the tube with glue rather than just compression, making it impossible to remove, which would make access to the threads slightly easier.
Is there any way to remove the glue from the threads inside? I have tried acetone on a q tip several times.
The kit and the blank together cost approx £20, so I am reluctant just to give up and throw it all away.
Any help and advice appreciated!!
Mike

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
A more readily available item is nail varnish remover, BUT get permission from a responsible adult (wife) :blahblahblah:

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
A more readily available item is nail varnish remover, BUT get permission from a responsible adult (wife) :blahblahblah:
Thanks Flexi, but that's what I meant by acetone.
Do you think I need to persist with the nail varnish remover (I have permission!!) over several days?
If so, buying the de-bonder just adds to the cost
Mike

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
put the acetone / nail varnish remover on cotton wool and stuff it in place. Add more neat then seal ends of tubes as best you can eg put inside old rubber glove or jam jar and leave it for a day or so. The CA will eventually denature

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I would do as above, leave the cotton bud with acetone inside overnight, it will work..
Another tip is if you do use CA to bond the fittings in always leave the tube open till fully cured or the fumes will discolour the refill....

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Thanks Mark and Ian,
I will follow that method, and report back.
Your help and advice is much appreciated

Mike

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Success!!!!
I soaked a roll of cotton wool and soaked it in nail varnish remover, pushed it down the clip end and sealed it in a glove finger.
This morning I removed the cotton wool and used a small wire brush I have to clean out the tube and threads.
The mechanism screwed in perfectly and pen completed.
I must say that the small wire brush is a very useful tool and it fits a screw driver bit socket.
Photo attached
Many thanks once again.

MikeIMG_2069.jpeg

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Who's a clever boy then!! :claps:

Next question is what does the wife want in return for her assistance? :chuckle: