• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

HELP with SIERRA PENCIL KIT

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
I have purchased 4 SIERRA PENCIL KITS from Penkits UK. Just turned one and I am not happy with it or I am doing something wrong on assembling. When you eventually get the lead out you cannot turn it back. How and where do you store spare leads. Anyone had experience of these pens.
Glen:sob::sob:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I would imagine they work like any other pencil kit, when you turn them to advance the lead don't let the top spring back, instead hold it and at the same time push the lead back in. The spares are kept in the body of course, take the eraser off and drop them in.

Peter

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
I would imagine they work like any other pencil kit, when you turn them to advance the lead don't let the top spring back, instead hold it and at the same time push the lead back in. The spares are kept in the body of course, take the eraser off and drop them in.

Peter

Thanks Peter
Your right about pushing lead in but how do you renew the lead, I have tried pushing it in but the lead breaks. I have removed the mechanism after a struggle as it is so tight
in the pen,someone with poor hands would not be able to remove it. (Just asked my wife to try it and she could not pull it out ). Removed the rubber and guest what, the tube is solid so cannot store new leads. A nice looking pen but that's all that it good about it :rolling::rolling::rolling:
Glen :sob::sob:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks Peter
Your right about pushing lead in but how do you renew the lead, I have tried pushing it in but the lead breaks. I have removed the mechanism after a struggle as it is so tight
in the pen,someone with poor hands would not be able to remove it. (Just asked my wife to try it and she could not pull it out ). Removed the rubber and guest what, the tube is solid so cannot store new leads. A nice looking pen but that's all that it good about it :rolling::rolling::rolling:
Glen :sob::sob:

I was assuming it was the same as other pencils, I will have a look and see if I can find out anything. If Mark finds his he may be able to shed light on storing the leads.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I just looked at images of the kit and mechanism, but it is not clear. The leads have to go into the body of the mechanism so either the top unscrews or pulls out to reveal the open chamber or the bottom does.

Renewing the lead is automatic when you have spares in the body (when you find out how to get them in there) as one lead gets used up the next one should fall into the same track and by advancing the lead it will eventually show itself, you may need to have the pencil vertically when you advance the lead.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Think I have some in the shed will have a look later.:thinks:

So did you find them and if so how do the spares fit in the barrel?

Peter

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
Peter
Just spent 2hrs on this pen and non the wiser. If you remove the blue rubber complete with the brass holder you can store your spare leads and that it.
On turning the lead out there is still about 1/2" of lead still in the nib when fully pushed to the end of the mechanism. The only way I can find to put a new lead in is to take the pen apart . The PENKIT Uk Sierra Pencil Assembly Insructions doesn't work eg it mentions push the button on the the Finial end until the lead is exposed, what button thought it was a twist pencil.
I have emailed Tony at Penhits uk but he is away till the end of the month

Glen:vangry::vangry::vangry:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter
Just spent 2hrs on this pen and non the wiser. If you remove the blue rubber complete with the brass holder you can store your spare leads and that it.
On turning the lead out there is still about 1/2" of lead still in the nib when fully pushed to the end of the mechanism. The only way I can find to put a new lead in is to take the pen apart . The PENKIT Uk Sierra Pencil Assembly Insructions doesn't work eg it mentions push the button on the the Finial end until the lead is exposed, what button thought it was a twist pencil.

I have emailed Tony at Penhits uk but he is away till the end of the month

Glen:vangry::vangry::vangry:

When you get down to the last bit just twist the pen to push it out as far as it will go and keep the pen twisted and pull out the lead. One the lead is out one of the spares will fall into the hole and you just keep advancing it by twisting as before and eventually the lead will emerge. At least you found out how to store the spares.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).