• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Here is the winner of Junes Competition

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
for a first, second or n'th attempt there is nothing wrong with that Bob, a very worthy entry into the competition. Its different and I like different :thumbs:

Hmm, I think you're a bit too nice Paul. I certainly can see where it could have been better even though the actual pattern effect was what I planned in my head. I made up a couple of blanks so might have another go.
I wouldn't have entered it tbh but felt I should support Jims' effort in staging the comp.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hmm, I think you're a bit too nice Paul. I certainly can see where it could have been better even though the actual pattern effect was what I planned in my head. I made up a couple of blanks so might have another go.
I wouldn't have entered it tbh but felt I should support Jims' effort in staging the comp.

I did not think that it was bad at all Bob not every thing has to be symmetrical and that pen is certainly different. I went for a very basic design and probably an easy route it just so happened that it paid off. I had never done segmanted work like this before and to start so close to the end of the time to enter I took one very big risk.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I did not think that it was bad at all Bob not every thing has to be symmetrical and that pen is certainly different. I went for a very basic design and probably an easy route it just so happened that it paid off. I had never done segmanted work like this before and to start so close to the end of the time to enter I took one very big risk.
I voted fir yours Derek as I liked the contrast you achieved with the woods.
I've actually never segmented anything previously not just a pen blank so as I said, learned a lot.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
I voted fir yours Derek as I liked the contrast you achieved with the woods.
I've actually never segmented anything previously not just a pen blank so as I said, learned a lot.

I was the same, not done much segmenting before, learnt not to use superglue cos of the fumes and that it is a tedious practise to do something as small like a pen so goodness knows how tedious it would be to do a big vase or something.
I thought all pens entered were quite good.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I was the same, not done much segmenting before, learnt not to use superglue cos of the fumes and that it is a tedious practise to do something as small like a pen so goodness knows how tedious it would be to do a big vase or something.
I thought all pens entered were quite good.
I think Jim needs to be applauded for organising the comp. He made some of us push out of our comfort zone and I'll definitely keep trying whereas before it was just on the "to do one day" list.
Thanks Jim :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
http://www.penturners.co.uk/attachm...88095-june-2015-competition-nominations-3.jpg
This was my entry, 1st time I've done any segmenting of any type, must admit, if i had seen the quality of the other entries before i posted mine, i probably wouldn't have bothered.
Well done Derek

Yes it is nice to win but it is about the challenge of trying something new and that is how I see these type of competitions, by entering it make you possible try something that you have never done before.

On another website the guys prompted me to have a go at entering the last woodworking show at Alexandra Palace run by Getwoodworking I never expected to win anything but entered all the same I learnt quite a bit from making my piece, OK so I took third in the novice section which I was over the moon with and won a set of robert sorby turning tools.

The lessons I learnt was don't worry about what others make or think but to have a go push yourself with new ideas after all it is one big learning curve.

So don't put yourself down you did a great job on a first now go and make another and have even more fun:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).