• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi all

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Edward, please show us the lathe you made, it could save us ££££'s in the future ...

MikeD

Registered
Hi Edward,
I lived, and worked in Singapore for two years, that was after living for three years in Kuala Lumpur (a little bit north of you) and three years in Cairo.
The first time I visited Singapore was 1976. We drove all day from Kula Lumpur on the old road (no Federal Highway then) in a car without air conditioning because prices were lower in Singapore :pounds: Things have certainly changed since then
In those days I had not taken up woodturning, bit annoying when I think of the wood yards I used to pass with their enormous piles of waste tropical hardwood that they used to burn :sadmo:

You will not find any kiasu on this forum, members regularly share both triumphs and disasters from which we all learn.

Mike

Edward Po

Welcome to the forums Edward, please show us the lathe you made, it could save us ££££'s in the future ...

Welcome Edward it would be nice to see some of the machines you have built. :thumbs:

I am more than happy to show you the lathe machine that I have build. However, do give me time to digest and try to figure how to post photos and videos on this forum. Also any help in this matter will be deeply appreciated.

As for trying to save money by building it yourself, I am sorry to mention that it is not justified nor cheap to build a general wood turning lathe when you can buy it off the self cheaply, especially those made in the Far East. The lathe that I have built is not cheap and it does not fall into the general categorically as other wood lathe. However it have the following features and capability not found on a general wood turning lathe:

1) A very simple build in attachment capable of making exact copies from template (Batch production using template).
2) The same attachment above with capability to make exact copies from sample (Batch production using sample).
3) A routing attachment to milled equally spaced flutes / slots on the surface of the workpiece with a index spindle head.
4) A side guide cum protractor attachment to drilled / milled equally spaced holes or multi flat surfaces on the workpiece at any angle.
5) Build in cutter sharpening attachment
6) Centre holes drilling station
7) A lathe machine so safe to operates that even the blind, people with one arm, the senior citizen and young ladies can operates the machine safely
8) Enable a novice wood turner to became a highly skilled turner within 1 hour.

I know the above description of the machine does not sound possible. Please be patience while I try and figure how to load photos etc. For those interested I am more than happy to shared my engineering drawings etc on this machine. All these will be posted on a new thread.

Regards
Edward Po

Edward Po

Hi Edward,
I lived, and worked in Singapore for two years, that was after living for three years in Kuala Lumpur (a little bit north of you) and three years in Cairo.
The first time I visited Singapore was 1976. We drove all day from Kula Lumpur on the old road (no Federal Highway then) in a car without air conditioning because prices were lower in Singapore :pounds: Things have certainly changed since then
In those days I had not taken up woodturning, bit annoying when I think of the wood yards I used to pass with their enormous piles of waste tropical hardwood that they used to burn :sadmo:

You will not find any kiasu on this forum, members regularly share both triumphs and disasters from which we all learn.

Mike

OMG, I can never believe that I get to know a westerner that is able to understand the word 'kiasu' I now really can feel myself at home here:wink::kiss::face:

Jim

Grand Master
Edward, now i want to see the machine even more after reading your last post ... :winking: I do not have the ability to make what you have, but i am very interested in seeing the finished article and how you came about making it ... :thumbs:

Here is a tutorial on how to add pictures in these forums, please read all the thread as there are a couple of ways of doing this if one does not suit you ...Click Me!!

Edward Po

Hi Edward,

Mike

Mike:

Btw, I understand how you feels about the huge pile of wood log waiting to be burnt etc. I have actually sited my small machine shop in a middle of a huge wood working and renovation estate, one of my past time here is always looking into other shop waste bill to hunt for any interesting looking small piece of wood for pen blanksCan you imagine the look on the face of all the various wood working shop owners whenever I do it. They will always asked me why keep all the small pieces of work when they are willing to spare me big one!:bwink:

Edward Po

Edward, now i want to see the machine even more after reading your last post ... :winking: I do not have the ability to make what you have, but i am very interested in seeing the finished article and how you came about making it ... :thumbs:

Here is a tutorial on how to add pictures in these forums, please read all the thread as there are a couple of ways of doing this if one does not suit you ...Click Me!!

Thank you Jim. It is completely true that you need very precision machine tools to to fabricates the machine that I have built. However, it will be an honour to share it with you guys. Again please be patience.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).