• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi from Newbie Turner

raybo

Apprentice Member
Yorkshireman thats a thought, am I using the right glue?, I am using polyurathane and leaving it to dry for 24hours the glue is rock hard when I mill the ends down with the tube trimmer. The wooden pens I turned were all fine and I was quite proud of them, do you use a special glue for acrylics?.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Turning down to the tube is no harder than what you're doing now really.

Small cuts and you're there in no time.

I've only been turning 8 months so you're not that far behind me.

Have a go, spare tubes are cheap as chips.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Yorkshireman thats a thought, am I using the right glue?, I am using polyurathane and leaving it to dry for 24hours the glue is rock hard when I mill the ends down with the tube trimmer. The wooden pens I turned were all fine and I was quite proud of them, do you use a special glue for acrylics?.

Thats the glue I use Raybo and like you I leave it 24 hours minimum. Its never let me down...........except when a piece flies off because there's no glue there!

keith

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow

Hi Raybo....
Welcome to the best forum out there... Enjoy
I do....:winking:

With Plastics I prefer to use the ' 5 min Epoxy' Glues, they seem to me to be more flexible than the polyurethane glues....
And to be sure with plastic blanks - your tools have to be sharp.

Ralphsputin

Welcome Raybo! No shortage of good advice and assistance on here! What I tend to use is either a gouge or a skew to get down to near the diameter then I have a Sorby Spindle master that I use to trim down to the final diameter. It's more gentle than my other tools, a doddle to sharpen, great on acrylic, leaves a good surface to minimise sanding and I can take off a whisker at a time with it. I still crack the odd blank if I'm in a hurry though!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).