• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi From Newbury - Bit of help please

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If the machine is in great condition and hardly used £170 might not be bad, but I personally wouldn't go that high considering it was only £200 new and that was with a guarantee which you won't have. It also matters if you know the person who is selling it and can trust what they are saying. if you don't know them you have to look at it realistically and not pay over the top for it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
For a second hand machine that is way to much for another few quid you can get a new one this machine has mixed reviews some good and some bad I have the record 305 and that is a great little machine
Another point that has already been made before you part with any cash consider just what you want to turn if you think you may want to turn bowls then I can guarantee you will most definitely want to turn some bowls in which case forget the small lathes and get a bigger one small things can be turned on a big lathe but big things cant be turned on a small lathe good luck Andy and a jolly old welcome to the forum

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Hi Andy, I have exactly the same lathe as that one which I use solely for pen turning. I brought mine second hand and have had it for about 4 years now and its never been a problem.
I think that I paid about £150 but that was 4 years ago and it was a return to Axminster that they were selling after a minor repairs.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for all the info guys - not sure about it now - price was £170 ono and the £50 quid maybe a bridge tto far - maybe I should take a look at the newer ones - really looking forward to it so may need to bite the bullet a bit further !

Will be back for some more advise and many thanks for the welcomes

Andy

Welcome to the forums Andy, it is personal opinions, i have had an Axminster with no issues, though i didn't own it that long .. Doug's £50 is his own opinion (One i would listen to if it was me as he has given me good advice in the past) but there are others on here who own the same or similar who would buy it at £150 .. Good luck with whatever you choose my friend, it is an hobby that is hard to give up once you start .. :devil:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hi and welcome to a very addictive hobby.

I have that machine and have owned it for about 5 years with no problems. Mind you I use it as my second lathe.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Hello Andy and welcome to the Asylum, I have had one of those for about 4 years or so and have no probs now but had a few when i first got it with the speed box which i replaced with a new one they sent next day and I have had a new motor replaced so they do have some probs, but it is a good little lathe to use!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forums Andy, it is personal opinions, i have had an Axminster with no issues, though i didn't own it that long .. Doug's £50 is his own opinion (One i would listen to if it was me as he has given me good advice in the past) but there are others on here who own the same or similar who would buy it at £150 .. Good luck with whatever you choose my friend, it is an hobby that is hard to give up once you start .. :devil:

I wouldn't pay £150 for one if there was one going for £50, but I can't see that happening unless it's knackered:thumbs:

Peter

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome to the forum Andy.

You have opened up a minefield of answers as you have found.

Axminster have brought in a hobby range which are cheaper and as such you only get what you pays for. habing said that hobby range are quite good and are pitched at the price to attract you in to parting with you pennies.

i have one of the earlier ones in my shed for my grandson to use, along side a little fox lathe a similar size but without the variable speed.

I have used it quite a bit and in my opinion is very good for turning pens and small bowls, but then again what do I know?

I have a much bigger axminster lathe that I use for the big stuff but the Axminster you have looked at is a great little starter lathe and ideal for turning pens.

I wouldn't pay £170 for it as others have said, pay just that little bit more and get new.

Enjoy the forum and happy turning once you get set up.

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Sorted

Thanks for all the help today Decided to go with it and got all sorts of kit with it new mandrels, chisels and a decent pillar drill etc all in really good nick and for just over a ton we both ended up happy. As I'm only going to try pens to begin with it I can always change later.

Funml thing was his wife didn't half look happy as I carried the kit out!:kiss:

Got loads of questions so will try forums history first but great to know there is help around

Thanks
Andy

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That sounds great Andy, exciting times. Don't be afraid to ask we are all happy to help on this forum.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks for all the help today Decided to go with it and got all sorts of kit with it new mandrels, chisels and a decent pillar drill etc all in really good nick and for just over a ton we both ended up happy. As I'm only going to try pens to begin with it I can always change later.

Got loads of questions so will try forums history first but great to know there is help around

Thanks
Andy

It sounds like you had a result, I hope it turns out fine for you, can you say what you actually paid? If you got a pillar drill as well it sounds like a good buy.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek

Thanks
Andy

You know that we now want pictures of this little set up

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
That sounds like a great deal :thumbs:
Looking forward to seeing the results of your labours. Be they good, bad or ugly :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).