• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hmmmmm...

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Ah yes, the ever-so-handy depth stop!

Can I make a suggestion when drilling? Try putting the the blank in the chuck as far as possible. You’ll have more chance of drilling perpendicular to the face, which helps a lot.

Meisear

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tim
Drilling the blank straight and in the centre is the hardest part of pen making for me. I try doing using the method above and about 50% of the time it goes wrong so I try my drill press and the results are roughly the same. Is a drill centring pen blank vice the answer do people think or am I just in too much of a hurry?

RobR

First Name
Robert
Drilling the blank straight and in the centre is the hardest part of pen making for me. I try doing using the method above and about 50% of the time it goes wrong so I try my drill press and the results are roughly the same. Is a drill centring pen blank vice the answer do people think or am I just in too much of a hurry?
It definitely doesn't pay to be in a hurry.

What part do you find goes wrong generally? Slowish RPM, sharp drills and regular retraction to clear swarf usually work for me (when the tool rest isn't in the way). If you're having problems centralising the hole have you tried checking the alignment of your lathe? With a live centre and a dead centre at either end, do the points of the centres meet in all directions?

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Are you using centre drills bits? If not you should.

Using one to start off creates an initial hole that is a 60 degree cone shape, the same as the end of your drill bit. You then need to advance the drill slowly into the hole and, even if there is a little bit of wobble to start with, the angled walls of the hole will “right” the drill bit and it should stop wobbling and drill straight from that point. But those first 2-3mm are key. Obviously if the drill is waving around a lot then you may have a different issue (workpiece face not flat, bent drill bit, lathe misalignment etc.).
Cheers
Ash

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
If its for kit pens, you don't need to worry if its not centered, it's going to be round soon so it won't matter.

I've made 1000's of pens, never used a center point and always done on my drill press.

Rob, def get that blank further in the chuck, you will notice a hell of a difference

Meisear

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tim
So true about it being round eventually 😀 perhaps I’m worrying too much about perfection.thanks

joels747

Apprentice Member
First Name
Joel
Hi. If you are drilling for a pen kit tube you need not worry. After you glue the tube, the barrel trimmer and its guide will make the blank faces perpendicular and the bushes will center the work.

Gert Fitcher

First Name
phil
It only really matters if the blank is small and you've only a mil two to play with. you don't want to go off centre too far then.
If I ever use the the lathe with the head turned, which I do regularly (only by a little), I set a reminder to centre it again.
I seem to go against the crowd - I have a Meddings but still drill my blanks on the lathe. Engineering jaws in a Versachuck.
DSC_0000161.jpgDSC_0000159.jpg

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Centre Drills work ok but actually aren’t designed for starting holes, they’re for drilling a recess for a Centre, hence the name! A better option which I find more durable anyway are Spotting drills. HSS are fine but if you get a carbide one it’ll last you a lifetime for spotting holes in pen blanks.

IMG_9664.jpegIMG_9665.jpeg