• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hollow forms or weed pots?

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
Morning,

Like to share a couple of hollow forms (vases?!) of mine. The top row is Sycamore with a Cherry insert, the bottom Oak also with a Cherry insert.
Both measure around 130mm high by 95mm around the middle. Designed to accept a plastic tube for water, though you can't see that very well!
Finished with wax and a buffing wheel.
Crtiques please.

Thanks.

Chriscb

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
Nothing wrong with the finish or turning as I can see, I think the necks should be longer and the body taken in a bit, that is my opinion but if you like them that's all that matters. Well done :thumbs::thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I like the shape of these the only thing that I would change is on the bottom one the slight ridge up near the neck could be removed as it is so small that it does not really show, there is enough pattern in the grain to let that speak for itself. If you want to put a feature such as that onto anything make it a little sharper so it is seen easier.

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
Afternoon,

Umm - such good comments from experienced turners - thanks to you all for that. Take the point about the ridge on the oak form and following the shape through the foot. One thing I do find problematic is that the piece seems different seen horizontally rather than vertically. Is this a common observation or just me?

Regards,

Chriscb

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
They both look good to me, I wouldn't change anything. I would have liked to see what the necks looked like from above though.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Looking back at the top one are you sure that is a cherry insert looks more like laburnum

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
Looking back at the top one are you sure that is a cherry insert looks more like laburnum

Only thing is I bought this wood from Yandles and they had it labelled as Cherry - the branch was around 2 foot long by 3 inches at the widest, tapering down to a little under half an inch at the end. The end was odd - it was rounded and bark covered. The bark matched Cherry, and the wood for most of the length (made 3 boxes with most of the wood) looked like other Cherry I've got in stock. But the end is, as you've seen, quite dark with very tight grain, and totally unlike any Cherry I've seen but as far as I can be sure, it's Cherry.

Regards,

Chriscb.

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
Rustic pots ,the style suits them. Not so big on inserts myself. But this does not intrude. Really like these.

Peter.

Evening Peter,

Thanks for the comments. Would you have used an insert of the same wood to plug the bottom hole or is it that the insert is too different?

Regards,

Chriscb

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Evening Peter,

Thanks for the comments. Would you have used an insert of the same wood to plug the bottom hole or is it that the insert is too different?

Regards,

Chriscb

Sorry realising it was to fill a hole, another ball game. Yes I agree with your answer to plug the hole.

I used to sit for hours and extoll my thoughts with my one finger typing and my keyboard can,t spell, the comments were boring Peter.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).