• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How I sharpen HSS tools

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
You can do it that way Ed but them your faceplate cant be used for anything else if you look at my last pic you will see that I have created a spigot on the back to fit my chuck also what if you need more than one disk then you will need another faceplate I will make up more disk for different grits and for sanding wood

Like Woody says Ed a spigot is a great way to go as it leaves your faceplate free for other work.
If you have spare faceplate's or don't see the need to use it for anything then why not try it out
These are faceplate mounted although the pictures with my boat on don't show it have a look further down the page to see Terry's.
http://www.penturners.co.uk/your-tips-jigs/922-budget-lathe-sanding-jig.html

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
You can do it that way Ed but them your faceplate cant be used for anything else if you look at my last pic you will see that I have created a spigot on the back to fit my chuck also what if you need more than one disk then you will need another faceplate I will make up more disk for different grits and for sanding wood

Point taken ,Woody:thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Like Woody says Ed a spigot is a great way to go as it leaves your faceplate free for other work.
If you have spare faceplate's or don't see the need to use it for anything then why not try it out
These are faceplate mounted although the pictures with my boat on don't show it have a look further down the page to see Terry's.
http://www.penturners.co.uk/your-tips-jigs/922-budget-lathe-sanding-jig.html

Ah ..I now see it all ....some of it. I think its the face plate method for the time being as it seems the simplest way forward.........

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Economy face plates can be made cheap as by machined nuts and you can fit outboard lhthread and leave it on the lathe. By this I mean you can buy steel discs and weld them centrally on the nuts, the threads matching your lathe of choice. Over here in aircon peoples workshops there have always been motor driven air circulation smallish frames with a shaft get old pulleys to fit the shaft turn them into face plates by drilling holes in the pulleys. to match them make a stand alone unit I have given mine to friends during my down sizing. One was to an old mate who made a complete Fairground Organ in his lounge room including the tablets to run the thing like a player piano. His wife died of cancer years ago.
but even before he had huge motor driven glideres hanging from the ceilings heused to make the tiny motors himself. Talk to Model Train enthusiasts etc the world is full of sources for everything.

On the lathe my preference is to put outboard the devices that shed metal to protect the lathe bed. Cant use outboard think of that when you make a purchase.

Have fun.

Kind regards Peter.

PS Jim woodys pic third on the right is a skew being sharpened.:goesred:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).