• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How is this tool used...?

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
That tip does look very thin, I can measure the tip of the sorby if its of any use :nooidea:

Just found the tip out before I locked up the shop, the Sorby tip is approximately 38mm long, 7mm wide & 3.5mm thick.
I`d be interested to compare that with the Crown one.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Frankie,
The tip was used exactly as the first post shows and with the flat side of the bar down on the toolrest- I'm now wondering if the tip's angle was correctly set.

Hi, Doug,
Sorry for the wait - I've put the broken tip down somewhere and now can't bloody find it!!! Hopefully, I'll let you know tomorrow. Have you noticed that the other, similar tip provided is even thinner? I can't see that lasting long, either!

Bob.

naxie

Registered

If its any help Bob, this is a piccy of the tip as I had it set after hollowing the bird house. I've literally just taken it off the rack and taken a quick photo.

IMG_2013122915683.jpg

No sign of snapping on me and to be honest I was a little rough with it.:thinks:

Hope that helps.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Me again,

Here's a snap of the two tips (one now snapped in half) alongside a matchstick. As you can see, they have very similar dimensions. I'm now wondering if this tool wasn't a poor attempt by Crown to copy the Sorby version(?)

Bob.

Broke...2.JPG

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow
Bob, this is my crown with the last setup I used.
I have never yet (touch wood) broken any tips. The angle was so steep as to get into the bottom edge of the box I made.
Measured this tip for you and its 34.12mm long x 3.21mm wide and 2.75mm tall I hope this is of some help

crown1.jpg
crown2.jpg

:thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Crikey nora that proves to me size does matter was that one only meant for delicate small stuff if not its scary small to me. WE used to make them in the club with simple design that did the same job using tool steel from the metal lathe for cutters I have a feeling yours was not cheap.

Stay safe Peter.:down:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hello, Rowdy,

Thanks for the pic, matey! Well, now I'm stuffed! Here's you and Ed using the same tool, and with confidence, yet when I had a tentative go with mine the bloody tip snapped in half. I could understand if I was rough with it but, nope, I wasn't. Ah well, maybe it was a flaw in the metal? I will have a go with the remaining tip, but this time will start with less of it protruding from the holder. Watch this space, guys (and listen for the screams)!!!

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread - it's much appreciated!

Bob.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).