• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How to choose wood and how to prepare it

Melchior

First Name
Emil
Hi, I am now very close to turning my first pen. But I find it difficult to choose wood, I have a plethora of different wood, but I do not know what I should look for.

Any specific things I should think about when preparing the blanks?

Regards,
Emil

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
First and most important do not use wet wood. Your blanks must be properly dry. 6 to 8% moisture is ideal. If your are air drying keep a log book of the weight. When the weight stops changing they are ready to use. Controlled environment where the blanks are drying helps.

Is the wood firm with no soft areas? If not then it should be stabilized before using. You can use CA while turning to reinforce the wood but that gets expensive. Don't choose an exotic for your first. Use a wood that isn't dense and hard. A Maple, Cherry or Walnut turns and sands easily. They also take finish well.

Size of the blanks kind of depends on the kit you will use. I shoot for around 22 mil square for most blanks and 19 if making slim lines. In a pinch you can use 16 for slims but those are a bugger to drill.

Matching the colour of the blanks to the kit finish can be distracting. IMO dark wood looks best against a gold finish. However this choice is purely personal. I have come to realize it doesn't matter, someone will like it.

Have fun, do the best job you can do. Keep your 1st pen so you can compare it with one after you have made a hundred more. You will smile and be proud of how far you've come.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
I used a piece of mahogany for my first pen it had a nice colour but a horrible shape!! So personally I would choose a light wood it hides the shape a bit better!! Now I have so much wood I just grab a handful of random blanks for 7mm and just make the pens, all other pens of good quality get a special burl for them, as Terry says once you start selling them you will find that there will be a customer for everything. Moreover, your circle of 'freebie' friends will expand!! :rolling:

PG

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Be selective and cull rubbish. Colour , grain (finer the better). Cut across the grain often. Err on generous sized blanks I have many hundreds I will scrap undercutting blanks in the early days. Found timber is just that until it proves itself. Enjoy the chase it is fun in itself.

Peter.

Melchior

First Name
Emil
Thank you all for great input. It is invaluable for me in my pen turning endeavours.

Regards,
Emil

Big Al

First Name
Al
Hi Emil, I just started a couple of months ago and I found it useful to buy couple of mixed sets of blanks off eBay, some good sellers there, so I could experiment with types ,colours and finishes. In my view spending £2-3 on 10 mixed blanks is a good way to experiment!

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I have a draw full OK not so many as some but it is a large draw ask Vic. I have a good seletion in there from quite plain woods to some nice burrs as well as a few plastic blanks. I use the word plastic what I should say is man made blanks most of these I cast myself. Plain woods I use for semented blanks and other bits and pieces that i try with them. No wood is safe here even the most bland pieces of wood which I keep for bowls and hollow forms are used and decorated with texture or paints.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).