• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I am still in the workshop

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
As the title but not for woodturning or woodwork. I am still playing with metal and the loco has slowed due to waiting for some replacement casting which I messed up.

This does not mean I have been lazy as there is the garden to keep me occupied and the odd show to attend as well as giving demonstrations in woodturning.
On top of that I have been playing with a Hit and Miss engine and when I say playing I mean making a miniature working one. I have just done a dry fit of some of the parts.
All three parts are ali so far and have yet to be permanently attached as there is still a small amount of drilling to do to two of the pieces

Attachments

• first dry fit (5).jpg
    first dry fit (5).jpg
    923.3 KB · Views: 28
  • first dry fit (7).jpg
    first dry fit (7).jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 29

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
So it's pretty fair to say your not letting the grass grow under your feet🤣🤣.
You must be well chuffed with progress so far.... I'll stop now!!
It's looking good mate, there is way toooo much involved in that project for me to even know where to start, let alone a whole new skill set and more, keep up the progress :claps:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
One of those days to day not having the right taps and dies for the farm boy so have changed the majority of the fixing sizes to BA as to buy some of the very small sized taps and dies works out expensive when they may not get used again or if they are only once or twice. I have plenty of taps and dies in many forms.
I checked my BA set and found that for some reason the 8BA did not have a bottoming tap which is a must. This was discovered after spending over an hour sorting through all of my loose ones so job one was to sort those out just need to label the box to make it easy to ID which is which.

Now this did not leave much time for working on the farm boy so all that was achieved was this simple square head screw, before ordering more bolts and other bits and pieces.

And those that like a laugh I did order some brass balls OK they are for the governor. And just in case I ordered two pairs:whistling:

Good penny for scale and there are smaller pieces to make yet

Attachments

• Tap and dies sort out.jpg
    Tap and dies sort out.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Smaal square head bolt (3).jpg
    Smaal square head bolt (3).jpg
    810.7 KB · Views: 19

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
If you had a second 8BA tap you could grind off the taper to make a shorter bottoming tap if that length suited what you were doing. I've done it before in the olden days.

Pete

Yes i did think of that but would rather get a new tap as I am not sure how good the spare one is, and for the price and that I also needed other bits from the company I just ordered a new one

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Thanks guys

Up until about two years ago I knew nothing. I just did plenty of research and watching videos(Taking care to select the right ones to watch).
I’ve watched just about every single Blondie hacks video for the same reason!

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Not posted much as I try to keep this thread to a minimum but I like to add the odd bit to show I am still doing something in the workshop. I did check my wood store for a piece of wood for another turning project.

Anyway since the last update I have made the cylinder liner and some of the machining to the piston. I am now working on the head assembly the size can be seen where I am holding the head.

Cylinder liner turned (1).jpgpiston progress (2).jpg

Most of the holes are drilled in the head and the valve guides made and inserted these needed to be fitted before some more holes are drilled as well as act as guides for another hole.

valve guides (9).jpg

valve guides (17).jpgvalve guides (28).jpgvalve guides (29).jpg

Just a quick couple of photo with the valves inserted

valve guides (30).jpgvalve guides (32).jpg

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
As some know I try to keep this post to a minimum.
The first two photos are parts that I had done before the weekend as can be seen the rocker arm and support are now made as well as the pivot pins, the centre one can be seen in the picture the others are smaller than that

rocker arm suppot in place (1).jpg

The second is of the con rod which needs some material machining out of the sided to lighten it.

con rod (1).jpg

Then onto today. I should really complete the con rod but as I was away the weekend I thought something small before resuming on that. So I found the oilers for the crank shaft bearings and started on the first of the two, made from brass. I still need to drill out the larger hole in the top but that will wait until I have got the second one to this stage before I drill and tap a piece of metal on the lathe to screw these into to do that operation.

Crank oiler (12).jpg

They do not show any caps for these but I may make a couple of them later on.

I did have a go at grinding my first form tool for the outside shape and pleased the way that and the oiler looks.

Crank oiler (13).jpg

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Spent the day doing some adjustments to the lathe and getting the big end bearing started.
A few slightly out of focus photos of a quick dry fit not all of the parts on on it still more in a box, This should give an idea what it will look like.

Dry fit Number 1 (1).jpgDry fit Number 1 (2).jpgDry fit Number 1 (3).jpgDry fit Number 1 (4).jpgDry fit Number 1 (5).jpg

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
The con rod is now complete with the split bearing
con rod with bearings (1).jpg

On to the crankshaft the parts machined to size and drilled where needed

crankshaft 1 (46).jpg

The crank was assembled by loctiting the parts together then cross drilling and pinning with a tapered pin once they are set the pins are cleaned up and cannot be seen

Crank shaft 2 (15).jpgCrank shaft 2 (20).jpg

The next job was fun as I had to use a 3/32" cutter to do the slots for some 1/8" this had to be done in three passes for each slot and was very slow as cutters this size will break very easy if pushed too hard

Crank shaft 2 (22).jpg

The finished crank with the centre pin removed as that was keeping the parts in alignment whilst it was pinned together and any other jobs

Crank shaft 2 (29).jpg

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
What with making the crankshaft the next part was drilling and reaming for the main bearing, as well as making the bearings which was not so bad.

Anyway this job was done without any problems but I did spend a little time setting up to do this task.

All done and fitted just a little clean up now to get rid of some marks. I do need to ream the bearings again as the caps pinch it very slightly rather this than too loose.

Attachments

• crankshaft fitted (6).jpg
    crankshaft fitted (6).jpg
    992.9 KB · Views: 3
First Name
Gary
As the title but not for woodturning or woodwork. I am still playing with metal and the loco has slowed due to waiting for some replacement casting which I messed up.

This does not mean I have been lazy as there is the garden to keep me occupied and the odd show to attend as well as giving demonstrations in woodturning.
On top of that I have been playing with a Hit and Miss engine and when I say playing I mean making a miniature working one. I have just done a dry fit of some of the parts.
All three parts are ali so far and have yet to be permanently attached as there is still a small amount of drilling to do to two of the pieces
Wow, that’s a piece of engineering; do you use a CNC machine to make the alu parts?

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I have been getting the gear cutting set up ready for the two gears.

I made an arbor for the gear cutters a while back these cutters normally come in a set of about 7 depending on the number of teeth required for this build I only needed two one for 72 tooth and the second for 36 teeth each cutter has a range of the number of teeth required.

Gear cutter arbor.jpg

Next up was to make a pair of clamps to hold the dividing attachment to the milling machine as the clamps I already had are two thick

rotary table clamps.jpg

The final set up ready to cut the first gear, you can see the blank in position ready for the first cut of 72 teeth. This involved turning the handle 1 full turn and 5 holes on the 20 hole ring on the plate for every cut.

gear cutting set up (2).jpg

The final gear cut just the small one to do which means changing the cutter and resetting the hole guides on the plate will try that tomorrow

gear cut (3).jpg

Then today the small gear cut this process was not one I was looking forward to as this is the first time I have attempted this

Gears complete (1).jpg