• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I need help identifying a chuck please

MarkNotts

First Name
Mark
Hiya I bought a huge pile of small items plus chisels mandrels jaws and chisels about a month back and was wondering what this chucks make and model is? I have about 4 sets of useful work holding jaws but only 1 set of jaw mounts so it is a pain to change jaws with the 8 fiddly screws when i can just unwind all 4 jaws and just wind another 4 on.

The jaw mounts are small and the face that contacts the jaw has a recess instead of a mortise, the third photo is just a comparison at side of an axminster jaw mount.

Attachments

• 20160910_143424.jpg
    20160910_143424.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20160910_143442.jpg
    20160910_143442.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20160910_143546.jpg
    20160910_143546.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 57

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
If you think your workshop is a mess you should see mine :rolling::sob:

Is there nothing stamped on the chuck to give any clue? If I had to guess I'd say it looks like a Super Nova but the jaw holding pieces shouldn't come out as far as I know. Someone else might have more clue :thumbs:

MarkNotts

First Name
Mark
If you think your workshop is a mess you should see mine :rolling::sob:

Is there nothing stamped on the chuck to give any clue? If I had to guess I'd say it looks like a Super Nova but the jaw holding pieces shouldn't come out as far as I know. Someone else might have more clue :thumbs:

The only thing stamped is on the indexing plate just max 3000rpm lol, not much help But...... just thought that index plate can be removed i think, it has countersink screws but i remember trying to detach the thread extension to make it sit closer to the headstock and it is practically welded on, Ill have a go now to see if i can remove the indexing plate without having to take anything else apart, hopefully there will be another clue

MarkNotts

First Name
Mark
Have you got two inserts in the the chuck?:thinks:

It has 4 x jaw holding inserts and 1 tightening ring thingy ( sounds like my mums descriptions are rubbing off on me ) , its a self centering chuck, just one side of the chuck to tighten all 4 jaws

MarkNotts

First Name
Mark
The screws to hold the jaws onto the jaw holding inserts are not the standard tall head hex they are small countersunk hex, everything about it including the inserts and all jaws are silver apart from the black pillers on the button jaws

MarkNotts

First Name
Mark
Pictures ,pictures, pictures mate. Cant see them in words.

Peter.

The pics are at the top :) the screws to hold the jaws onto the inserts are just hex machine screws, I've been to the shed and took the index plate off but still no markings, the index plate was just covering the internal mechanism, its a good job i did as someone has over tightened i the past and the gears are a bit damaged and dry as a bone so a bit of greese wont do any harm!

Come to think of it the lathe that came with the huge haul of bits i needed was an old axminster awvsl1000, the old grey version before they downgraded to a red hobby shorter bed version.

Ive looked in axminsters site to see if any of their chucks look the same and nope

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The pics are at the top :) the screws to hold the jaws onto the inserts are just hex machine screws, I've been to the shed and took the index plate off but still no markings, the index plate was just covering the internal mechanism, its a good job i did as someone has over tightened i the past and the gears are a bit damaged and dry as a bone so a bit of greese wont do any harm!

Come to think of it the lathe that came with the huge haul of bits i needed was an old axminster awvsl1000, the old grey version before they downgraded to a red hobby shorter bed version.

Ive looked in axminsters site to see if any of their chucks look the same and nope

Mark I agree the pics are at the top but as you scroll down to these comments the pics are up there and we are down here, just saying it is easy when they both come together mate.

Peter.

MarkNotts

First Name
Mark
It is a good chuck but it does have a little forward amd back slop on the jaw mounts when using the button jaws, unless i have an abused chuck as its 2nd hand.

The other jaws on it are fine but when removing the tenon or mortise on the bottom of a bowl you dont tighten or expand the buttons more than just light pressure, it is hard to get all 4 plates perfectly lined up no matter how you align them before tightening the screws.

When you start and stop the lathe with the jaws empty or holding a piece you can hear a slight metal knock from the sides of the jaw mounts clicking the chuck slider edges.

All the other jaws when tightened more onto the wood are fine.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).