• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I'm Not Saying I have

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Now then, I'm not saying I have, and I am not saying I have not done this before

Have you or how many times have you sanded a little bit too much from the end of the blank and tube?

If I had, and I am not saying I have, or have not done it, how far could I get away with.

Imagine for a moment that had happened to a Slimline pen that would mean that whom so ever did that (I am neither admitting nor denying it ever happening to me) would have 2 different sizes for the top and bottom, the size difference would only be around 1 - 2 mm.

Given that purely hypothetical situation would whoever that had happened to (Remember I am not saying I have done that nor am I denying it has been done by me) be better off grinding a bit from the larger piece to get them both level or would that person get away with leaving it as it is?

Does a blank being 1-2mm short have any effect when assembling a pen (any pen)

:winking::rolling::rolling::goesred:

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
If someone were over zealous with a sanding disc( and I am not saying you were or weren't :face:) 1mm is not going to make too much difference, just remember on a slimline to push the transmission in "LESS" to compensate if you use a shorter tube in the lower section, otherwise fill your boots in the upper section:banana::banana:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I’ve done it Gary. On a two piece pen I always use the correct size blank for the nib end. Assemble the the nib blank & insert the refill & draw the nib up, put the centre band & blank on the pen to see how far the top of the refill is from the top of the blank. If you’re lucky you’ll still have enough rom for the spigot of the clip finial to be inserted when you assemble the blank. If there’s not enough room I have a piece of 4mm ply with a hole in it to take the finial spigot which protrudes about 2mm through the ply. I sand the spigot down flush to the ply on the disc sander. DO NOT hold the finial with your fingers while sanding as it gets very hot. I push the finial in place with a small piece of wood. This leaves enough spigot to seat the firmly in the blank. If in doubt put a small drop of ca in the end of the blank before assembling the clip & finial. I hope this helps.

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
I’ve done it Gary. On a two piece pen I always use the correct size blank for the nib end. Assemble the the nib blank & insert the refill & draw the nib up, put the centre band & blank on the pen to see how far the top of the refill is from the top of the blank. If you’re lucky you’ll still have enough rom for the spigot of the clip finial to be inserted when you assemble the blank. If there’s not enough room I have a piece of 4mm ply with a hole in it to take the finial spigot which protrudes about 2mm through the ply. I sand the spigot down flush to the ply on the disc sander. DO NOT hold the finial with your fingers while sanding as it gets very hot. I push the finial in place with a small piece of wood. This leaves enough spigot to seat the firmly in the blank. If in doubt put a small drop of ca in the end of the blank before assembling the clip & finial. I hope this helps.

Thanks for that Bill, Great answer :drool:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I don't blame you for not saying you have, because if you do then where their is a blame their is a claim..

Great suggestions from Mark and Bill.

Its easier to recover with the likes of slimline/streamline of that type of kit. the ones you will struggle with is the "clicker" type pens, just need to be aware there is very little room for error and need to be careful when squaring those pen kits.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).