• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

In conclusion

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
How many of you have come to the same conclusion as myself about Craft Fairs. I am finding the following Fairs in the summer months and especial sunny days are very poorly supported. The number of pens sold are well down compared with winter sales. Best months September to December and worst months June to August.
The best pens sold are the lighter pens such as slimline, very few like heavy pens, wood pens sell better than Acrylic.
Glen

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Good question Glen perhaps the driven one that promotes Craft and other sales. Do you want to make pens for sale becomes a driven result of outlay V the need to cover your costs.

I give away quantities of pens ,the result I have to me low cost gifts so well received that afford pleasure to so many. A great result for me.

Make up your own mind early on this matter so you can enjoy the making and viewing.

Peter.

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
Good question Glen perhaps the driven one that promotes Craft and other sales. Do you want to make pens for sale becomes a driven result of outlay V the need to cover your costs.

I give away quantities of pens ,the result I have to me low cost gifts so well received that afford pleasure to so many. A great result for me.

Make up your own mind early on this matter so you can enjoy the making and viewing.

Peter.

Hi Peter
I made my mind up some years ago. Why. I had a nervous breakdown followed by about 2 years of depression when life was very bad. I decided I needed to find something to bring me out of this black hole I was in, so I took up wood turning as a Hobby, not to make a lot of money or a business but to help me with an interest. I go to Craft Fairs to fund this hobby and to make friends. I'm quite happy with anything over £100 the more the better but it is also the interest I have which is the main thing. My life has changed for the better. In my case I don't necessary agree with some of the remarks made about Craft Fairs, it would be interesting to find out how many use these fairs and why?

Glen

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks for explaining your means and results Glen ,makes sense really at the end of the day to beat the black dog is one hell of an achievement IMHO.

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Craft fairs are notorious places, however they have their place.

As you say it's a place for like minded people to "hang out" to make friends and break up their week and days. If you are selling while doing that then it's a win win situation.

But your opening comments probably speak for them selves, maybe is all about knowing where and when your sales are and making your pens during the quieter months and not doing the fairs. By you comments you have a great handle on when they sell so it may be all about tweaking that and making the most out of the cosutomers out there.

As for me, I don go out and sell anymore. Mine is repeat customers and usually word of mouth when I do sell any.

But for me it's selling the experience of owning a handmade pen. Not the "stack em high sell em cheap" but then I don't need to sell any to support my living. If I sell none or sell one a year then I am happy.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).