• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Introduction - Hi

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Welcome Simon. Sound advice regarding a club. I Have never been a ‘club’ sort of person but joining my local wood turning club has changed that, I have learned an awful lot. I also second Peter’s comment don’t go spending a lot of money until you have tried a few things. You can do a lot with very few tools and that way you both learn how to really make the most of them and what will truly be useful. You often find good tools on sale at a club as well so it is a win win really.
I do find there are some good You tube channels too. The Wyoming Woodturner and Mike Waldt are two that I find helpful and I also found some of Brian Havens explainations of why certain tools are used ina certain way quite helpful. One final point, sharp tools are everything, if your course includes sharpening excellent but if not that is a skill you need to acquire very quickly.

simon33

Apprentice Member
First Name
Simon
Welcome Simon. Sound advice regarding a club. I Have never been a ‘club’ sort of person but joining my local wood turning club has changed that, I have learned an awful lot. I also second Peter’s comment don’t go spending a lot of money until you have tried a few things. You can do a lot with very few tools and that way you both learn how to really make the most of them and what will truly be useful. You often find good tools on sale at a club as well so it is a win win really.
I do find there are some good You tube channels too. The Wyoming Woodturner and Mike Waldt are two that I find helpful and I also found some of Brian Havens explainations of why certain tools are used ina certain way quite helpful. One final point, sharp tools are everything, if your course includes sharpening excellent but if not that is a skill you need to acquire very quickly.

Perfect, thank you.

Thanks also Phil Dart, Penpal Peter, Yorkshireman and WM640. All really useful advice. I'm on my way :-)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).