• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Is buying from abroad really cost saving

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I agree that we should be careful Neil, although I would say very careful. My brother works for Revenue and Customs, he doesn't visit this forum but who knows, some of his colleagues may be pen makers. I am not sure that I would describe him as lovely, but I can assure you that he is neither stupid nor an idiot.

The "stupid revenue idiots" employed by Revenue and Customs simply enforce the taxation decisions made by politicians.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...aGiIc4IkYNzkjyi8MQEAxDA&bvm=bv.47883778,d.aGc

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I agree that we should be careful Neil, although I would say very careful. My brother works for Revenue and Customs, he doesn't visit this forum but who knows, some of his colleagues may be pen makers. I am not sure that I would describe him as lovely, but I can assure you that he is neither stupid nor an idiot.

The "stupid revenue idiots" employed by Revenue and Customs simply enforce the taxation decisions made by politicians.

Walter,

You're a decent bloke and as your brother is from the same blood I'll withdraw the comment aimed at your brother unreservedly and apologise. However I'm afraid that they are still responsible for a great deal of interpretation and they are responsible for advising on revenue collection and as such must take a lot of the blame for some of the ludicrous decisions that have no basis in common sense or logic, for example applying the import tax at 3% and then applying the VAT at 20% on the 3% as well. That is just done to maximise revenue with no logic in either the protection of trade or whatever other justification there is for import tax (as opposed to VAT).

I do reiterate the comments, specifically aimed at the numpty who sent me a tax bill for 5p, how much did that cost and waste? Perhaps my language was a bit emotive but the time wasted in producing figures, which because we have computers, we can produce, is incredible. The unproductive time really grates me, as you might have guessed.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Apology accepted Neil and for what it's worth I share your abhorrence of the mindless application of the letter of rules by bureaucratic jobsworths. I (and my brother) also share your distaste for tax on tax, which also applies to the fuel duty on petrol and derv. Sadly neither he nor I can alter the simple fact that politicians have chosen this devious route to raise revenue by stealth. That is not interpretation it is what was intended.

Sending you a bill for 5p (or even £5) is however ludicrous as it costs more to administer than it raises in revenue. That comes down to failure to build safeguards into the system that prevent the sending out of bills that cost more than they raise. The fault of both those who designed the system and those who specified and approved it.

My main point however was not to defend the revenue but to reinforce your warning that care is needed in what is written in open forums. You never know who is reading what you write.

Jed Baxter

Registered
I have said a lot worse than what Neil said, but it was never aimed personally to anyone directly who works for the Revenue and Customs department, i also presume what Neil said was more tongue in cheek than disrespecting an individual.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Neil is a jolly fine chap and I am sure you are right but I cannot stress enough how careful you should be about what you say on public forums if you don't want the revenue inspecting your tax affairs in minute detail.

Ian

Apprentice Member
In New Zealand we Have to keep it under $200 and there is no tax but the freight from the USA kills it and some of their freight firms charge the taxes even though they don't apply so I found on an AAW forum posting .If you know of someone coming your way have it sent to them if not in a rush did with my last order and saved a heap. My local supplier charges $30 for 5 kits =$6 each I can get them for $3.40 each from another at the other end of the country postage about $2.50 the last lot from the USA $1.74 freight free all I'm saying is shop around check on the net.

Ian

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Ian,

Try phoning Woodturningz. They are a psi reseller and are human! They are very helpful and will converse with intelligence on how to get the stuff to you in the easiest and cheapest form. The post is not cheap and I buy kits in bulk so spread the overhead per pen to what is a reasonable charge - I think my last postage charge was $27 plus insurance on 40 kits. They might be able to provide a service that is reasonable for the volume you require. Their website lists a percentage of what they can sell, as a PSI reseller all is available with the exception of the Bolt Action but you have sources of that nearer to home!!

Neil

Ian

Apprentice Member
thanks Neil I deal with craft supplies U S A if I need to go offshore their service is great I sent 5 emails to PSI and didn't even get a reply most of what I need is available here in NZ.

Ian

Old Corky

I only buy in small amounts if and when i need them. I really can't afford to buy in bulk, but reading on other forums the costs can't really be reduced if you have other costs involved. Import tax at 20% will make up the ballance from buying at home, so is there really a cost saving buying from abroad? :thinks:

Brother, I know there are differences between UK and US import rules and taxes and I don't know them. But. I just bought 12 Bolt Action Pen kits from Timberbits in Australia. The charge was 108 AU Dollars so the shipping is free to USA, UK and Canada. That make the 12 kits price $98.73 USA Dollars or $8.23 per kit. That pretty well beats $14.95 each per kit plus shipping at Penn State.

Regarding Bolt Action Pens I am a small seller at a couple of local small town monthly sales days. but 34 of my 92 sales to date for 2013 were Bolt Action Pens compared to only 23 versions of Slimline Pens. That is also about $230.00 profit on the BA Pens that I lost by not knowing about buying foreign until now.

Old Corky

Old Corky

Brother, I know there are differences between UK and US import rules and taxes and I don't know them. But. I just bought 12 Bolt Action Pen kits from Timberbits in Australia. The charge was 108 AU Dollars so the shipping is free to USA, UK and Canada. That make the 12 kits price $98.73 USA Dollars or $8.23 per kit. That pretty well beats $14.95 each per kit plus shipping at Penn State.

Regarding Bolt Action Pens I am a small seller at a couple of local small town monthly sales days. but 34 of my 92 sales to date for 2013 were Bolt Action Pens compared to only 23 versions of Slimline Pens. That is also about $230.00 profit on the BA Pens that I lost by not knowing about buying foreign until now.

Old Corky

Just a note to add that I ordered the pen kits from Timberbits in Australia 0n July 7, 2013 at almost half of the USA prices with shipping paid and received them in my mail box in Texas July 10, 2013. My first time with them, but it sure won't be the last. :thumbs:

Old Corky

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
My order arrived today 80 aus dollars worth kits and blanks at least half the UK prices. Looks to be good quality which should go without saying seeing as they're all made in the same place.

Will I back ? Of course.

Another happy TB customer.

Jim

Grand Master
Just a note to add that I ordered the pen kits from Timberbits in Australia 0n July 7, 2013 at almost half of the USA prices with shipping paid and received them in my mail box in Texas July 10, 2013. My first time with them, but it sure won't be the last. :thumbs:

Old Corky

My order arrived today 80 aus dollars worth kits and blanks at least half the UK prices. Looks to be good quality which should go without saying seeing as they're all made in the same place.

Will I back ? Of course.

Another happy TB customer.

That is the problem with using TB's, they make it so attractive that you can't help but go back ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).