• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Is Silver Birch any good for turning?

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I've got this largish limb to remove of this Silver Birch tree!
Is silver birch any good for turning or do I just cut it up for firewood? I get the impression Silver Birch is prety boring/non interesting timber?

IMG_4992.jpg

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Why not chop it up, put it in some bin liners on the ground somewhere and see if you get any nice spalting?

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I've never tried doing it, but apparently it needs to be kept warm and moist. How about sealing it in some bags and putting it in the loft?

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Silver birch spalts very easily - but if you seal it in bags in the loft or anywhere else it wont happen. It needs to be piled up in the garden, so that at least some of the logs are in contact with the ground. Chuck some leaf mould over it to keep them moist, and to help introduce some "rot" to the party, a bit like a mulch, and forget it for a year. THEN seal it in bags. It gains the fungus that will start the spalting process by being in contact with rotting organics. They don't ALL need to be touching the ground, but as long as some are, and the other are piled on top, the fungus will transfer through the pile.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Thanks Phil, I'd read about people doing it in sealed plastic bins or bags, with a load of fresh sawdust from 'infected' wood to help introduce the spores necessary for spalting....but your way is probably easier!

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
It never occurred to me to include "infected" wood in there with it. That may work if the infected wood is still active and hasn't been seasoned. Once it's seasoned the fungus is dead.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I've just been reading up....apparently you don't seal the container, just close it - it has to be able to breathe.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I've read in the past that spalting can be achieved by dunking the wood in a fairly strong solution of liquid plant fertiliser for 24 hours, then bagging it - but I've never tried it.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Thanks Melanie & Phil for your advice, I'll have to see if I can dump it at the father in laws for a year or so :thinks:

Our garden isn't really suitable for rotting wood & leaf mould! that's the whole garden you can see in the attached photo lol

IMG_4773.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Paul you never know until you cut ande look make it can be very classy in there. I found keeping cut pieces in fair lengths upright worked for me, we do not have the waterfalling everywhere as in the uk though so already it could be spalted.

Peter.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Paul you never know until you cut ande look make it can be very classy in there. I found keeping cut pieces in fair lengths upright worked for me, we do not have the waterfalling everywhere as in the uk though so already it could be spalted.

Peter.

Im not holding my breath on the Birch already being spalted or exiting, but I'll keep it in as large a pieces as I can handle & find somewhere to store it!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).