• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Job for the day

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Terry,

I had a mate forever ago and we read that static electricity can be devastating when you use plastic piping so before his shop was finished we hooked up a full length of stormwater pipe which over here is 4 inch but thinner than sewer pipe 4 inch. Hooked up the vac system and fed sawdust into the other end and on the outside of the pipe, guess what the pipe looked like it needed a shave, so we bought a roll of earth wire stranded at that time electrical cable known as 7.029 pre metric. With the wire we rolled it around the stormwater length on a diagonal wrap went through the experiment again earthing the end at the machine which is earthed through the three pin power lead and to either end of the pipe soldering the connections, voila no more peach fuzz. When I lay my own pipe in my workshop I stretched an earth wire through a hole at the machine end and out to my disk sander, lathe other lathe, drill press, Steel Router bench earthing to each machines frame using solderless Ross Courtney crimp circles made for us sparkies because a spark generated inside the bpipe by friction can ignite and cause horrible chaos.

So the moral of the story is for me better sure than sorry OK call it overkill I call it insurance I have seen workshops destroyed by static started fire guess my tech training gave me access to more horror events than you guys.

I know everyone is an expert just saying what and why I did it my way (thanks Frank Sinatra). I also have a book on using stormwater pipe that decries earthing in any way however me and my mate did it when we set up our workshops in the sixties and I have followed this ever since. I was taught to be cautious.

Have success kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Peter I remember well using 7.029 in the old VIR days LOL. I have used plastic pipe in industry where items were blown through the pipe and creating static. We used to earth in a similar manner to yourself with excellent results. Woody was saying about earthing metal pipe for static which I suppose is possible BUT current Institute of Electrical Engineers regulations in this country state that metal pipe work should be earth bonded just in case it accidently becomes "LIVE" so in this case Woody was correct but possibly for the wrong reason!!!!:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Looked Back Old Pics illustrating two examples of my earthing techn:goesred:iques.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• Test Photos with Digital Camera 041-001.jpg
    Test Photos with Digital Camera 041-001.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Test Photos with Digital Camera 040-001.jpg
    Test Photos with Digital Camera 040-001.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).