• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Just a trial run

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
A new thing for me transferring pictures onto wood once I get it right then these will go off to various veteran groups as fundraisers but first I need to know what people think of the idea I know this one isn't perfect so I'm not looking for quality comments just comments on the concept as this one is going back on the lathe and start again
View attachment 32565

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Brilliant - tells a story without words - if this a reject then that's why I don't turn bowls - I love it and I think they would be extremely well received :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I like the idea what are you using to transfer the image as there is a darker line at what appears to be the edge of a clear medium. When you do these can you not put a black line around the image to disguise it it would only need to be a thin one.
That would be a great image on the final one if you could include the complete bodies and heads of the men, I know this one is only a try out for the final bowl.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
I love that silhouette Woody. Do you stick the picture in place with Mod Podge, then when dry, scrape the back off the paper?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I like the idea what are you using to transfer the image as there is a darker line at what appears to be the edge of a clear medium. When you do these can you not put a black line around the image to disguise it it would only need to be a thin one.
That would be a great image on the final one if you could include the complete bodies and heads of the men, I know this one is only a try out for the final bowl.

It did have a line around the edge but it got damaged so I returned it to the lathe to remove it and that when a bit of his head went missing LOL

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I think they'll be appreciated and sell for the veterans Woody, very nice. How durable is the transfer though. I can see it looking a mess if it starts to peel off.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Is there some sort of finish or seal that you apply over the top of it Woody?

Hi Phil this has only got sanding sealer on but when I get it right they will be sealed with Lacquer but this one is going to be stripped back for the next try

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I think they'll be appreciated and sell for the veterans Woody, very nice. How durable is the transfer though. I can see it looking a mess if it starts to peel off.

Hi Keith its not a transfer it is a picture transferred from paper onto wood and it will be completely sealed with several coats of sanding sealer and acrylic lacquer

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Hi Woody. The idea is great and I think they will sell and bring much needed revenue to your various causes.

I used to do a lot of transferring onto wooden jewellery boxes I made, (I don't make them anymore) A coat of lacquer or clear varnish protected the image, or you could use a dermal, carve the detail out and fill with milliput and then turn and polish.
Whatever you do don't use water based products.

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Sorry Woody, didn't mean to repeat your answer, you answered the question while I was typing my comment

woodhacker

Fellow
First Name
Peter also been called many others
Whoa whoa slow down Woody:rolling: I just get started on one of your ideas and your away on another.:sob:
I just can't keep up with you and you're supposed to be slowing down. :yourtheman:
Great idea though :thumbs: in theory it should blend in better than a decal.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I like the idea Grandad, agree with the other comments.

As for me, I wonder what it would look like done by laser engraver.:thinks:

Even if it could be done :nooidea:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).