• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

JWL-1220VS Mini Lathe

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Controversy seems to be everywhere. My small observation is this IN THIS Country I found purchasing a bare lathe (no motor) fitting the motor on the bench out the top belt on the head stock frees up all the space under the Lathe Bed. Using a three phase motor 3/4 HP fed by a Variable Speed Control adjacent to the lathe situated on the top of the bench saved me a kings ransom. Visiting Richard Raffan recently where he is selling up he had two Vicmarl VL100,s like mine second hand 1/2 price 1200 AU big ones. OK few yrs ago my bare VL100 was around 500 AU.

Before folks get excited about doing and saying Jet surely sells their lathes bare and listening to the talk by some members on this forum about programming and operating Cand C machines a simple lathe installation seems like a walk in the park to me. When I read extensively on the IAP about Jet its amazing the number of probs with vari speed stuff printed circuit boards cheap switchgear etc. A world expert told me a week ago people like those high end manufacturers are losing out heavily to Jet etc on price.
My variable speed controller came from my mate who imports from Germany virtually just around the corner from you all around 200 AU landed here do a number of sums, examine carefully the layouts possible when you do things like this with a little help from your friends. Electric motors are like grasshoppers easy to locate second hand all of mine made in the UK right on your doorstep somewhere. Get out and about Wood Clubs every one has someone or ten who know how and when to find, fix show, share. I go to University Workshops visit with machinery places etc amazing what is out and about.

Any way enjoy the hunt, the cut and thrust ,try to examine in detail each buy, your space, your need and have success. Kind regards Peter.

Jim

Grand Master
What we tend to rely on Peter, is word of mouth and reviews, but i know what you are saying about getting out there and looking for yourself i just wish i had more time to do it ... :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).