• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
My new favourite wood (until the next one I make). Kingwood and cellulose acetate.

This is the first pen I have made where the cap is fully sleeved. What I mean is that inside the cap is an entire lining made from the cellulose, forming a complete barrier between the wood and the nib, like the brass tube in a kit pen. Previously I was "half-sleeving" the cap so the cellulose only went so far up inside the cap. In this scenario the exposed wood can cause the nib to dry out prematurely, as I found with a couple of the pens I made. This was easily rectified by coating the inside of the cap with a lacquer, but I have decided that going forwards (where I can) I will do this full sleeve as standard.

On this pen I stepped-down the external diameter of the liner (because I taper the outside of the cap and I had to consider the wall thickness of the wood to make sure it wouldn't be too thin). That meant the internal drilling/boring of the wood also had to be stepped down accordingly (and accurately). This is probably overkill and I will work on getting the tolerances down so I can have a straight sleeve which will make life a lot easier on the next one.

Anyway I am happy with how it came out.

This pen has sterling silver accent rings and I did consider adding a clip but, honestly, I forgot. I had already glued the cap finial in place before I remembered. I did remember to line up the grain though...

It has 13mm cap threads and a Jowo no6 nib.

Any comments or questions please ask.

Cheers
Ash

A0D79613-44A4-4857-97B4-4A4B93757F8D_1_201_a.jpgEF091A07-3F76-4071-AEA3-A47FB9CA47F2_1_201_a.jpgEF782A1E-8322-4780-AB14-4BD33AB0C84E_1_201_a.jpg0390AC91-1A93-47E2-BAB3-A34B8F159E1B_1_201_a.jpg5B1B625E-A3D6-4662-96C2-BEE7FE037E5F_1_201_a.jpg

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Another good one Ash. What do you make the silver spacers from?

Thanks William. I use a few approaches depending on how wide the washer needs to be (I mean the distance form the inner to outer diameter rather than the thickness). If it’s a wide one then I cut from silver sheet using a jewellers saw. For smaller rings I use silver wire but you can also buy silver washers that are around the correct size and alter them too. I’ve done this with good results.

As an aside if I’m using brass or bronze then I just buy rod and turn it and drill it down to the size I need. This isn’t appropriate for silver rings as the cost is considerable and the resulting waste would prove quite expensive (although you can sweep it up and sell it back to be recycled if you create enough of it!).
Cheers
Ash

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Another very very nice pen.... Love the complementing acrylic this time..:drool::drool:
Something for me to aspire to.... One day maybe :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Dress circle pen belongs in a Royal Box at the races,everlasting quality ,sensitive and distinction in every made feature,belongs in a hall of fame ASh.:rolling::rolling::goesred::goesred::goesred::goesred::thinks:

Peter WOW WOW WOW.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).