• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Kitless Aluminium contemporary fountain pen

BradG

First Name
Brad
Crafted from Aircraft grade aluminium, featuring a JoWo nib

building up stock for the Lytham Pen Show :)

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
More excellent work, and a top job on the photograohs- this looks a nightmare to photograph.

The only feature that I would change is the step between the cap and barrel when closed. I think it would look even better if it was a smooth transition.

BradG

First Name
Brad
Thanks Robin

hmm, can't say I agree there Mark. I used to make the majority of my pens with no step, and I was never pleased with the profile of them. The step aids the angle of the taper, also.

It looks great on the slimmer pens, but I've always preferred this step on this kind of profile pen. Personal preference I guess :)

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Surely a one of Brad I preferred the previous pens overall appearance, degree of difficulty with the Butterflies. Just now I realise why the background makes me concentrate on the in focus knitting or weaving . Truly special pen individual highlights in the taper.

Contemporary it is. A rare pen I like better open than closed, the individual cap and body of the pen are outstanding. Thank you mate for showing your master pen.

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I really like that one Brad.

I agree I like the step but have seen them without and as you say it's personal taste.

Never used aircraft quality Alli, do I presume it turned the same as cast Ali but enable a better finish due to the mix of other metals.

BradG

First Name
Brad
Thankyou Peter, and I agree I like the technical ones too, though im building up my inventory for an upcoming pen show, so I need some pretty plain ones like these on the table too :)

Eamonn, To be honest its more of a sales thing. by machining it, it feels little different to 60601 T6, which is a general machining alloy of aluminium. Cast aluminium isn't a great comparison in any measure as pot metal is generally quite brittle, as it lacks the alloys which are generally added to aluminium which is destined to be cast

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thankyou Peter, and I agree I like the technical ones too, though im building up my inventory for an upcoming pen show, so I need some pretty plain ones like these on the table too :)

Eamonn, To be honest its more of a sales thing. by machining it, it feels little different to 60601 T6, which is a general machining alloy of aluminium. Cast aluminium isn't a great comparison in any measure as pot metal is generally quite brittle, as it lacks the alloys which are generally added to aluminium which is destined to be cast

Brad I looked up the specs for Al 6061 T6 the consensus it has a high corrosion resistance and good strength. Is kerosne a good lubricant whilst turning with this one?. A mate of mine when he was apprenticed as a machinist made outside conversions for timing belt pulleys using this aluminium, it yielded a mirror finish, much admired by his customers.

My only beef with low grade aluminium it sure does not retain finish for long.

Peter.

BradG

First Name
Brad
Brad I looked up the specs for Al 6061 T6 the consensus it has a high corrosion resistance and good strength. Is kerosne a good lubricant whilst turning with this one?. A mate of mine when he was apprenticed as a machinist made outside conversions for timing belt pulleys using this aluminium, it yielded a mirror finish, much admired by his customers.

My only beef with low grade aluminium it sure does not retain finish for long.

Peter.

Hi Peter
WD40 is all I use for lubricating aluminium. (Fish oil incase you didn't know ;) )

Also, please do an experiment for me. Polish a piece of aluminium on your lathe using sandpaper, give it a wash, and simply place it on a shelf in your home. Of course different alloys will give different results but a piece of general 6061 T6 would be good for your test. Take a look each month. You will be surprised just how long that will remain shiny for ?

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
That's a very nice pen. I like the slight overlap in this design. As you say that is all down to ones personal preference.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).