• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

kitless bullet

woodhacker

Fellow
First Name
Peter also been called many others
Its been a bit since I turned out a pen so since I was presented with some bullet casings Thought I'd give it a go.
Photo isn't too good sorry.:goesred:
thumb_IMG_1194_1024.jpg

Brass was cleaned up with brasso, had to insert two sizes of tubing to make up the gap. The blank is an unknown.
If anyone's got some tips for sealing the brass let me know please {was thinking of clear acrylic laquer] :thinks:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Great result Peter looks good but is "kitless" an accurate description? looks like some slimline parts in there. :thinks: What's the wood btw?

I don't bother sealing the brass usually as I think they are more authentic in a natural state, but did spray one with acrylic laquer which worked quite well

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Very nice I make a lot of these and never seal the case just let it do its own thing most of mine go to veterans and it will keep them up to scratch polishing there brasses LOL what size case did you use

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Very nice I make a lot of these and never seal the case just let it do its own thing most of mine go to veterans and it will keep them up to scratch polishing there brasses LOL what size case did you use

Looks like a .303 to me there Woody.....getting ideas??? There a little longer than .308 cases

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Looks like a .303 to me there Woody.....getting ideas??? There a little longer than .308 cases

I thought so I have a few of them just need a longer euro tube I still have a few of them and I'm down to me last 20 308s and they wont last long

woodhacker

Fellow
First Name
Don't know what wood it is Lon just a piece lying around. I meant it wasn't a bullet kit, the case is a 303 according to the box they are in but there are two different lengths.
Great result Peter looks good but is "kitless" an accurate description? looks like some slimline parts in there. :thinks: What's the wood btw?

I don't bother sealing the brass usually as I think they are more authentic in a natural state, but did spray one with acrylic laquer which worked quite well

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Don't know what wood it is Lon just a piece lying around. I meant it wasn't a bullet kit, the case is a 303 according to the box they are in but there are two different lengths.

Yeah didn't mean to sound critical Peter, far from it. Does look like a 303 with the flange around the end whereas the 308 is shorter and a more uniform end, at least mine are!

Bullet tips def look better but a pita to get the lead out, I ended up drilling holes in a scrap bit of hardwood, standing the bullets upright on top and melting the lead with a blowtorch. Discoloured the brass but easily polished.

I actually used some scrap 8mm copper central heating pipe as spacer, just a short length at the nib end and a 7mm hole in the other to take a std tube worked well. I also made a couple using spare screw on nibs from bullet kits but can't remember where I bought those.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I use these tips from BTW just like a std 7mm but bullet shaped saves all the bother and looks a little better20160116_084323.jpg

woodhacker

Fellow
First Name
I use these tips from BTW just like a std 7mm but bullet shaped saves all the bother and looks a little betterView attachment 30074

Hi Flexi, I did send for some 30 calibre copper tips but they were too big. Not having done my national service don't know the difference :funny: BTW ? am a thicko. Lon mentioned that as well :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).