• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Kitless pens

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I have purchased some more bits and bobs. I have just ordered some other bits once they arrive I should be ready to give it a go. I'm not expecting to get it right first time out but it should be interesting. Either way, it's going to be an expensive pen. :thinks:

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Still reading up and watching youtube videos etc. I think I'm nearly there. It seems most people are using 12mm triple thread taps and dies I have been measuring the pens I have and that seems like a bit of a fat pen to me. I'm tempted to go 10mm to start with and see how it turns out. I have 10mm taps and dies so I will have a trial run before purchasing a 10mm triple tap and die set. I would just like to thank Phil at Beaufort ink for his input and the free samples to help me get started. Thank you.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I decided to make a start today once I get underway I will try and post some pictures. The first thing to do was to face off the pieces of ebonite I was intending to use for the nib section. Once I had faced both ends off the blank I turned it round to a universal diameter. Then the problems started I can not find my M2 die holder no idea were I have put it. I may need to make another one or buy one. So that was it for now. Except to note ebonite is a strange material to turn I have not used it before. Weird.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I decided to make a start today once I get underway I will try and post some pictures. The first thing to do was to face off the pieces of ebonite I was intending to use for the nib section. Once I had faced both ends off the blank I turned it round to a universal diameter. Then the problems started I can not find my M2 die holder no idea were I have put it. I may need to make another one or buy one. So that was it for now. Except to note ebonite is a strange material to turn I have not used it before. Weird.
Ebonite does not like heat Dave. It also dulls tool edges extremely quickly. I gives beautiful results though, both in the look and in the feel of the pen, so it's worth persevering with. Keep your tool feed rate down, keep abrasives moving so that heat doesn't build up, and keep your tools sharp. You have to re-sharpen extremely frequently. Use carbide if you have them, but if not, visit your tool sharpener at least every other pass.

Still reading up and watching youtube videos etc. I think I'm nearly there. It seems most people are using 12mm triple thread taps and dies I have been measuring the pens I have and that seems like a bit of a fat pen to me. I'm tempted to go 10mm to start with and see how it turns out. I have 10mm taps and dies so I will have a trial run before purchasing a 10mm triple tap and die set. I would just like to thank Phil at Beaufort ink for his input and the free samples to help me get started. Thank you.
That's the right thing to do I would say. Prove your design and technique with taps and dies you already have, or can buy cheaply, then invest in the correct tools once you're satisfied. I would say though that depending on the material you're using, and depending on where you're placing your cap thread on the body, you may struggle at 10mm. The minor on that is going to be only 9.2 mm, and you have to allow for the wall thickness of the barrel underneath that too. That's going to account for, say, another 1mm. You're down to 8.2mm before you even think about threading the inside to receive the section. You may be putting the cap thread on the outside section itself though I suppose - in which case I'll shut up and get my coat.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Phil you are right about the triple thread taps/dies having given it a go I think 12mm is a sensible starting point. I like ebonite it threads well and you can drill and tap to small tolerances and it stays intact. My first attempt failed due to not paying enough attention to measurements. My second attempt went OK until I started drilling for the nib
section to go in. I drilled past the internal thread. Other than that it looked the business. But I learned a lot. It has not put me off, in fact, I am now more determined than ever to get it right. I need to order some more black ebonite then I will have another go. I will post pics when I have something worthwhile for you to look at.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I did not make this pen nb

BE IT KNOWN this is a few pics to show a pen I was given in a swap a long time ago.

It is entirely wood ie Clip,Top and Bottom inserts,Barrell, Cap,Stem inside, The refill is the only purchased part. THIS is my definition of KITLESS.

I bashed of these quick pics to show all beautiful timber.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF9208.jpg
    DSCF9208.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF9211.jpg
    DSCF9211.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF9212.jpg
    DSCF9212.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF9213.jpg
    DSCF9213.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF9210.jpg
    DSCF9210.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 61

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
The quest to turn a kitless pen goes on. I have had some success with the nib section. I have tapped and threaded some body and cap sections. But only roughly. I have invested in a set consisting of triple start intermediate tap and a die. After some experimenting, I went with Phils suggestion and opted for the 12mm set. I'm off work now for a week so hopefully, I will find the time to complete a pen and post some pictures. This pen making thing is addictive.:banana:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).